-Sheldon:Here's the problem with teleportation. | 我给你讲讲传物的问题吧。 |
-Leonard:Lay it on me. | 讲吧。 |
-Sheldon:Assuming a device could be invented | 假设可以发明一种仪器, |
Which would identify the quantum state of matter of an individual in one location | 在一个地方把一个个体的量子态识别确认后, |
And transmit that pattern to a distant location for reassembly, | 把排列模式传送到另一地方重新组装, |
You would not have actually transported the individual. | 你实际上并没真把该个体传送走, |
You would have destroyed him in one location and recreated him in another. | 而是在一个地方将他摧毁再在另一个地方重新做出一个他。 |
-Leonard:How about that? | 那又如何? |
-Sheldon:Personally, I would never use a transporter, | 我本人永远不会使用传送机, |
Because the original Sheldon would have to be disintegrated in order to create a new Sheldon. | 因为原来的Sheldon必须被分解,才能再做出一个新的Sheldon。 |
-Leonard:Would the new Sheldon be in any way an improvement on the old Sheldon | 那新的Sheldon比旧的有什么改进吗? |
-Sheldon:No, he would be exactly the same. | 没有,他们完全一模一样。 |
-Leonard:That is a problem. | 那才是问题所在。 |
-Sheldon:So you see it too. | 这么说你也明白了。 |
-Gablehauser:Dr. Hofstadter. Dr. Cooper. | Hofstadter博士,Cooper博士。 |
-Leonard and Sheldon:Dr. Gablehauser. | Gablehauser博士。 |
-Gablehauser:Gentlemen, I'd like you to meet Dennis Kim. | 先生们给你们介绍下,这是Dennis Kim。 |
Dennis is a highly sought-after doctoral candidate, | Dennis是个抢手的博士生候选人, |
And we're hoping to have him do his graduate work here. | 我们希望他在我校进行他的研究工作。 |
-Leonard:Graduate work. Very impressive. | 研究工作,佩服佩服。 |
-Gablehauser:And he's only 15 years old. | 而且他才只有15岁。 |
-Sheldon:Not bad-- I, myself, started graduate school at 14. | 不错啊,我本人是14岁读的研究生院。 |
-Dennis:Well, I lost a year while my family was tunneling out of North Korea. | 当我家人在挖地道逃出朝鲜时,我浪费了一年的时间。 |
-Leonard:Advantage Kim. | Kim领先。 |
-Gablehauser:I thought maybe you boys could show Dennis around. | 我希望你们能带Kim四处参观一下。 |
Let him see why we're the best physics research facility in the country. | 让他看看咱们为什么是全国最好的物理研究机构。 |
-Dennis:I already know you're not. | 我已经知道你们不是了。 |
You don't have an Open Science Grid computer or a free electron laser, | 你们没OSG计算机或自由电子激光器 (OSG是科研使用的分布式计算基础设施), |
And the string theory research being done here is nothing but a dead end. | 还有你们这的弦论研究已经走进死巷了。 |
-Sheldon:Excuse me, that is my research, and it is by no means a dead end. | 等等,那是我的研究而且绝没有走进死巷。 |
-Dennis:Well, obviously you don't see it yet, but trust me, you will. | 你现在显然还没意识到这点,不过相信我你会的。 |
-Gablehauser:Dennis, we've discussed this. | Dennis我们讨论过这问题了。 |
We're in the process of updating our equipment, | 我们正在更新仪器设备, |
And we welcome your input on our research goals, | 我们欢迎你对我们的研究目标提出意见, |
And we've agreed to look the other way if you want to use up to 20% of the grant money you attract to smuggle your grandfather out of Pyongyang. | 而且如你打算用20%的研究资金用于把你爷爷偷运出平壤,我们会睁只眼闭只眼 |
We want him here, boys. | 我们想要他留下,孩子们。 |
Make it happen. | 靠你们了。 |
-Sheldon:Yes, sir. | 遵命。 |
You can count on us. | 我们会不负所托的。 |
We're on it. | 交给我们好了。 |
What the hell do you mean, "dead end" | 你小子什么意思,什么叫"死巷"? |
-Dennis:I mean, the whole landscape of false vacuums in string theory could be as large as ten to the five hundredth power. | 我是说弦论中整个的伪真空可能高达5%到10%的能量。 |
In addition-- | 另外... |
Ooh, look, chocolate milk. | 喔,瞧啊,巧克力牛奶。 |
-Sheldon:I sense a disturbance in the Force. | 我感到原力受到干扰 (原力是星球大战系列作品中的核心概念)。 |
-Leonard:A bad feeling I have about this. | 我有不好预感。 |
So, Dennis, how long have you been in America | Dennis你来美国多久了? |
-Dennis:A year and a half. | 一年半。 |
-Leonard:No kidding. | 说真的。 |
You speak English really well. | 你的英语说得不错。 |
-Dennis:So do you. | 你的也不错。 |
Except for your tendency to end sentences with prepositions. | 除了你总喜欢用介词结束句子。 |
-Leonard:What are you talking about | 你这话什么意思? |
-Dennis:That. | 就像这样。 |
-Sheldon:He's not wrong. | 他没讲错。 |
All right... | 好了… |
And this is my office. | 这是我的办公室。 |
-Dennis:Is this part of the tour | 这也是要参观的地方吗? |
-Sheldon:Nope. Good-bye. | 不是,再见。 |
-Leonard:Come on, Sheldon, we've hardly shown him anything. | 得了Sheldon咱们还哪儿都没去过呢。 |
-Sheldon:All right. | 好吧。 |
This is my desk. | 这是我的书桌。 |
These are my books; this is my door. | 那些是我的书,那是我的房门。 |
Please close it behind you. Good-bye. | 出去时请随手关门,再见。 |
-Dennis:Looks like you're doing work in quantum loop corrections. | 看来你在做量子回路校正方面的研究。 |
-Sheldon:Keen observation. | 观察力很敏锐。 |
Good-bye. | 再见。 |
-Dennis:You see where you went wrong, don't you | 你看出来自己哪里错了吧。 |
-Sheldon:Leonard | Leonard。 |
-Leonard:Yeah | 在。 |
-Sheldon:Get him out. | 带他出去。 |
-Leonard:Come on, Dennis. I'll show you the rec center. | 走吧Dennis,我带你去文体中心。 |
They've got Nautilus equipment. | 那儿有健身器械。 |
-Dennis:Do I look like I lift weights | 你觉得我像喜欢举重的吗? |
-Leonard:Not heavy ones. | 不是举很重的。 |
-Dennis:It's startling to me you haven't considered a Lorentz invariantor field theory approach. | 我很吃惊你尚未考虑到从洛仑兹不变量或场理论方面入手。 |
-Sheldon:You think I haven't considered it | 你以为我没有考虑过? |
You really think I haven't considered it | 你真以为我没有考虑过? |
-Dennis:Have you considered it | 你考虑过吗? |
-Sheldon:Get him out, Leonard. | 带他出去Leonard。 |
-Leonard:Come on, Dennis. | 来吧Dennis。 |
I'll show you the radiation lab. | 我带你去放射实验室。 |
-Dennis:Wow, you won the Stevenson Award | 哇,你得过史蒂文森奖? |
-Sheldon:Yes. | 的确。 |
In fact, I am the youngest person ever to win it. | 事实上我是最年轻的得奖者。 |
-Dennis:Really | 是吗? |
How old | 你那时多大? |
-Sheldon:Fourteen and a half. | 14岁半。 |
-Dennis:Hm, you were the youngest person ever to win it. | 你曾经是最年轻的得奖者。 |
-Leonard:It's like looking into an obnoxious little mirror, isn't it | 这小镜子照得挺烦人吧 |
-Penny:This is really delicious, isn't it | 这个真好吃,不是么。 |
Still can't talk to me unless you're drunk, huh | 没喝醉酒还是不能跟我说话吗? |
Oh, sweetie, you are so damaged. | 哦宝贝,你真可怜。 |
-Howard:Hey, I'm damaged, too. How about a hug for Howie | 嗨,我也挺可怜的也抱抱Howie怎么样? |
-Penny:Sure. Raj, hug Howard. | 行啊,Raj抱一下Howard。 |
-Leonard:Something you'd like to share | 有什么要跟我们分享吗? |
A tale of woe, perhaps | 也许是一个悲剧故事。 |
-Sheldon:Fifteen years old. | 15岁。 |
Dennis Kim is 15 years old, and he's already correcting my work. | Dennis Kim才15岁却已经在修正我的工作。 |
Today, I went from being Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, to... | 今天,我从莫扎特 |
You know that other guy. | 沦落成了...就是那家伙。 |
-Howard:Antonio Salieri | Antonio Salieri (宫廷乐师,据称因嫉妒而害死莫扎特) |
-Sheldon:Oh God, now even you're smarter than me. | 天啊,现在连你也比我聪明。 |
-Howard:You know, Sheldon, you don't have so many friends | 我说Sheldon你并没有那么多朋友, |
That you can afford to start insulting them. | 能让你随意侮辱。 |
-Leonard:Just eat, Sheldon, you'll feel better. | 吃点东西吧Sheldon,吃完你就会感觉好一点。 |
-Sheldon:Why waste food | 干吗还浪费食物? |
In Texas, when a cow goes dry, they don't keep feeding it, | 在德克萨斯要是奶牛不产奶了,他们才不会继续喂它, |
They just take her out and shoot her between the eyes. | 他们会把它带出去一打死。 |
-Penny:I'm confused. | 我给弄糊涂了。 |
Did Sheldon stop giving milk | Sheldon不产奶了 |
-Leonard:You can't let this kid get to you. | 别为了这个小孩子闷闷不乐。 |
You always knew that someday someone would come along who was younger and smarter. | 你知道总有一天会有人比你年轻比你聪明。 |
-Sheldon:Yes, but I assumed I would've been dead hundreds of years | 是,可我认为那时我已死了几百年了。 |
And that there'd be an asterisk by his name because he'd be a cyborg. | 而且他的名字后面还跟着*号,注释着他是个半机械人。 |
-Penny:So you've got a little competition. | 好吧,你面临一点儿竞争。 |
I really don't see what the big deal is. | 我不明白这有什么大不了的。 |
-Sheldon:Well, of course you don't. | 你当然不会明白。 |
You've never excelled at anything. | 你是如此平庸。 |
-Penny:I don't understand-- | 我不明白… |
Exactly how did he get any friends in the first place | 他最初是怎么交到朋友的? |
-Howard:We liked Leonard. | 我们喜欢Leonard。 |
-Leonard:Well, what are you going to do, Sheldon, just give up | 那你打算怎么办Sheldon,就这样放弃吗? |
-Sheldon:Yes. | 对。 |
It's what a rational person does when his entire life's work is invalidated by a postpubescent Asian wunderkind. | 理智的人当认识到他毕生的心血被个乳臭未干的亚洲神童证明无效时就会这么做。 |
He ceases his fruitless efforts, | 他不会再作无谓的努力, |
He donates his body to scientific research, | 他把自己的身体捐给科学研究, |
And he waits to die. | 然后等死。 |
-Penny:You know, I'm confused again. | 知道么,我又糊涂了。 |
Is he waiting, or do we get to shoot him between the eyes | 他是等死呢,还是我们得一把他打死? |
-Sheldon:Hey. | 嗨。 |
-Leonard:Hey. | 嗨。 |
-Sheldon:I've decided you're right. | 我想明白了你说的对。 |
My career is not over. | 我的事业并未终结。 |
-Leonard:Great! | 好极了! |
-Sheldon:But since the arrival of Dennis Kim has rendered my research pointless, | 不过既然Dennis Kim出现后,我的研究已经毫无意义, |
I just have to find something else to focus on. | 我需要把精力集中在其他方面。 |
-Leonard:Great! | 好极了! |
-Sheldon:So I've decided I'm going to collaborate with you. | 所以我决定跟你合作。 |
-Leonard:Great. | 很好。 |
-Sheldon:So what exactly is it you do | 说起来你到底在研究什么? |
I know you chatter on about it all the time, | 我知道你总是唠叨你的工作, |
But I've never really paid attention. | 可我从没认真听过。 |
-Leonard:Okay, well, right now I'm designing an experiment to study the soft component of cosmic radiation at sea level, | 好吧,我正在设计一个试验,分析海平面宇宙辐射的软性部分, |
But I really don't need any help. | 不过我真不需要帮忙。 |
-Sheldon:Oh, sure you do. | 别逞强了。 |
Now, see, what's this here in the schematic | 等下,瞧,示意图上这是什么? |
Is that a laser array | 是激光列阵吗? |
-Leonard:Yes. | 对。 |
-Sheldon:Now, hm... What happens if you use argon lasers instead of helium-neon | 要是你不用氦氖激光改用氩激光会怎么样? |
-Leonard:It would blow up. | 会炸掉。 |
-Sheldon:Are you sure | 你确定吗? |
-Leonard:Pretty sure. | 相当确定。 |
-Sheldon:Pretty sure is not very scientific. | 相当确定可不够科学。 |
Is this how you normally work | 你通常就是这么工作的吗? |
Just hunches and guesses and stuff | 就是靠感觉和猜测什么的? |
-Leonard:Okay, | 好了。 |
Sheldon, I understand that you're going through a bit of a career crisis, | Sheldon我明白你正面临一点事业危机, |
You’re searching for some other area where you can feel valuable and productive, | 你想寻找另一个领域让你觉得自己有价值有能力, |
But I need to tell you something, and I want you to listen carefully. | 不过我得告诉你,希望你能认真听。 |
-Sheldon:All right. | 好吧。 |
-Leonard:Go away. | 走开。 |
-Sheldon:If you're concerned about sharing credit with me, your name can go first | 要是你担心我抢你的风头,你的名字可以排在我前面。 |
I'm going. | 我走了。 |
-Howard:It's a small, brown paper bag, Ma! | 妈,这只是个小的棕色纸袋! |
I'm looking in it right now. | 我正往里面看呢。 |
Why would I make that up | 我干嘛要骗你? |
There's no Ding Dong in it. | 里面没有巧克力派。 |
How are two Ding Dongs tomorrow gonna help me today | 明天给我两个巧克力派,那我今天怎么办? |
-Sheldon:So... | 啊... |
This is engineering, huh | 这就是工程学工作室啊。 |
-Howard:I'll talk to you later. | 我过会儿再打给你。 |
-Sheldon:Engineering. | 工程学。 |
Where the noble semiskilled laborers execute the vision of those who think and dream. | 技术不纯熟的高尚劳工在这里,为那些能够思索和梦想的人服务。 |
Hello, Oompah Loompahs of science. | 你们好啊,科学国度的勤劳小精灵。 |
-Howard:Sheldon, what are you doing here | Sheldon你来干吗? |
-Sheldon:I just came by to say hello. | 只是过来打声招呼。 |
-Howard:I've been in this lab for three years. | 我在这里三年了。 |
You've never come by to say hello. | 你从没过来打招呼。 |
-Sheldon:Well, up until now, I've had better things to do. | 这之前我都在忙着更重要的事情。 |
So, what are we making today | 咱们今天做的是什么啊? |
-Howard:A small payload support structure for a European science experimental package | 为一个欧洲科学实验组做一个小的飞船有效载荷支撑结构, |
That’s going up on the next space shuttle. | 会用于下一班航天飞机。 |
-Sheldon:Really | 真的吗? |
How does it work | 它怎么工作的? |
-Howard:When this is done, | 这个完成之后, |
It will be attached to the payload bay, and the sensor apparatus will rest on it. | 会被安装在航天飞机的有效载荷舱里,到时候传感器仪器就会放在上面。 |
-Sheldon:So it's a shelf. | 这么说来这是个架子。 |
-Howard:No, you don't understand-- | 不是,你没明白-- |
During acceleration, it needs to stay perfectly level and provide... | 在航天飞机加速期间,这必须保持彻底水平并提供... |
Yeah, okay, it's a shelf. | 好吧,是的,这是个架子。 |
-Sheldon:Now, I notice you're using titanium. | 我注意到你用的是钛金属。 |
Did you give any consideration to carbon nanotubes | 你有没有考虑过用碳纳米管? |
They're lighter, cheaper, and have twice the tensile strength. | 它们更轻更、便宜、拉伸强度则是钛的两倍。 |
-Howard:Sheldon, | Sheldon. |
There’s a diploma in my office that says I have a master's in engineering. | 我办公室有张证书证明我有工程学硕士学位。 |
-Sheldon:And you also have a note from your mother that says, "I love you, Bubula." | 你还有张你妈妈写给你的条子说"我爱你,宝贝儿子(犹太语)" |
But neither of those is a cogent argument for titanium over nanotubes. | 不过这两样东西都不能证明钛比纳米管更有效。 |
-Howard:Sheldon | Sheldon? |
-Sheldon:Yes | 什么事? |
-Howard:Go away! | 走开! |
-Sheldon:Did Leonard tell you to say that | 是Leonard让你这么说的吧? |
-Howard:No, I thought of it all by myself. | 不是,完全是我自己想出来的。 |
-Sheldon:That can't be a coincidence. | 不可能这么巧。 |
There must be some causal link I'm missing. | 我肯定是错过了什么因果联系。 |
-Raj:Go away! | 走开! |
-Sheldon:Curiouser and curiouser. | 越来越奇怪啊。 |
-Howard:Is he here | 他在吗? |
-Leonard:If he were, I wouldn't be. | 他要在我就不会在这儿了。 |
-Raj:Do you know what he did | 你知道他干了什么? |
He watched me work for ten minutes, | 他看我工作了10分钟, |
And then started to design a simple piece of software that could replace me. | 然后开始设计一个简单的能取代我的软件。 |
-Leonard:Is that even possible | 这可能吗? |
-Raj:As it turns out, yes. | 结果证明是可以。 |
-Howard:Something's got to be done about him, Leonard. | 咱们得对他采取行动,Leonard。 |
-Leonard:Like what | 什么行动? |
He'll never be able to cope with the fact | 他怎么也不能接受一个15岁的孩子, |
That some 15-year-old kid is smarter and more accomplished than he is. | 比他更聪明更有成就的事实。 |
-Raj:Well, what if something were to happen to this boy | 那要是这个孩子出事了,会怎样? |
So he was no longer a threat to Sheldon | 那他就不会再威胁到Sheldon了。 |
-Howard:Then our problem would be solved. | 那我们的问题就迎刃而解了。 |
-Leonard:Hang on, are we talking about murdering Dennis Kim | 等等,我们难道在讨论谋杀Dennis Kim吗? |
I'm not saying no. | 我又没说不行。 |
-Howard:We don't have to go that far. | 不必出此下策。 |
There are other means available. | 还有其他方法。 |
-Raj:We can't send him back to North Korea. | 不能送他回朝鲜, |
He knows how to get out. | 他知道怎么出来。 |
-Howard:The only thing we need to do is make this Kim kid lose his focus. | 咱们只需要让Kim这小子分心。 |
-Leonard:Won't happen. | 不可能的。 |
He is not interested in anything but physics. | 除了物理,他对什么都不感兴趣。 |
-Howard:What about biology | 生物怎么样? |
-Leonard:What | 什么? |
-Howard:You know, biology. | 就是...生物。 |
The one thing that can completely derail a world-class mind. | 唯一能够让世界数一数二的大脑彻底崩溃的东西。 |
-Leonard:Howard, he's 15. | Howard,他才15岁。 |
-Howard:Yeah, so | 那又怎么样? |
When I was 15, | 我15岁的时候认识了Denise Palmeri, |
I met Denise Palmeri and my grade point average fell from a 5.0 to a 1.8. | 我的各科平均分从5.0掉到了1.8。 |
-Raj:She was sleeping with you | 她跟你上床了? |
-Howard:No, I just wasted a lot of time thinking about what it would be like if she did. | 没有,不过我花了很多时间幻想她肯跟我上床的场景。 |
-Sheldon:Oh, good, you're all here. | 噢,太好了,你们都在。 |
Look, I've decided that if the three of you drop whatever it is you're working on and join me, | 我决定,要是你们三个扔下你们现在工作跟我合作, |
We could lick cold fusion in less than a decade. | 我们可以在10年解决冷聚变问题, |
12 years, tops. | 最多不超过12年。 |
Go away | 走开 |
Could it be me | 难道问题出在我身上 |
-Penny:Oh, hey guys, what's up | 嗨,伙计们,什么事? |
-Howard:We need a hot 15-year-old Asian girl with a thing for smart guys. | 我们需要一个喜欢聪明男孩子的15岁亚裔漂亮女孩。 |
-Penny:What | 什么? |
-Leonard:Howard, that's racist. | Howard,你这话有种族歧视味道。 |
Any 15-year-old girl will do the trick. | 只要是15岁的女孩就行。 |
-Raj:It's possible she may have misunderstood us. | 她可能误会了我们的意思。 |
-Gablehauser:Dr. Cooper. | Cooper博士 |
Oh, are we interrupting | 我们打扰你吗? |
-Sheldon:No, no. Please come in. | 没有,请进。 |
Yeah, I think you'll appreciate this. | 我觉得你会欣赏这个, |
This is very exciting. | 非常激动人心。 |
-Gablehauser:Oh, what are you working on | 噢,你在研究什么? |
-Sheldon:Something remarkable. | 一些了不起的东西。 |
Since my prospects for the Nobel Prize in physics have disappeared-- | 既然我不太可能拿到诺贝尔物理奖了-- |
Thank you very much-- | 全拜你所赐-- |
I've decided to refocus my efforts and use my people skills to win the Nobel Peace Prize. | 我决定转移我的精力,利用我的人际交往能力去赢得诺贝尔和平奖。 |
Look. | 瞧这儿。 |
I'm going to solve the Middle East crisis by building an exact replica of Jerusalem in the middle of the Mexican desert. | 我要解决中东危机,办法就是在墨西哥沙漠里精确地再造一个耶路撒冷。 |
-Gablehauser:To what end | 为什么? |
-Sheldon:You know, it's like the baseball movie. | 你知道,就象那个关于棒球的电影。 |
Build it and they will come. | 建成了他们就会来了。 |
-Gablehauser:Who will come | 谁会来? |
-Sheldon:The Jewish people. | 犹太人。 |
-Gablehauser:What if they don't come | 要是他们不来呢? |
-Sheldon:We'll make it nice, put out a spread. | 那就建造得很好再做做宣传。 |
-Gablehauser:Okay, well, um... | 好吧,那个,呃... |
speaking of spreads, | 说起宴会, |
We’re having a small welcoming party this afternoon | 我们今天下午为Kim先生办一个小型欢迎会, |
For Mr. Kim who's agreed to join us here at the university. | 他已经决定加入我们大学了。 |
-Sheldon:Of course he has. | 那当然了。 |
The Oracle told us little Neo was the one. | 当然了,Oracle告诉过我们小Neo就是那个人 (参见"黑客帝国"的情节)。 |
You can see The Matrix, can't you | 你能看见Matrix,对吧 (参见"黑客帝国"的情节)? |
-Gablehauser:Okay, | 好了。 |
Well, obviously you're very busy with your, uh, um... | 显然你正忙着... |
Come, Dennis. | 走吧Dennis。 |
You'll have to excuse Dr. Cooper. | 你别介意Cooper博士。 |
He's been under a lot of, um... | 他受到很大的... |
He's nuts. | 他疯了。 |
-Dennis:Ay yay yay yay ,Hava nagila... | * 哎呀呀呀 * * 大家来庆祝 * |
They'll come, they'll settle, and I'll win the prize. | * 他们会来,他们会住下,我会拿到奖。 *(著名犹太民歌) |
-Sheldon:I really don't understand your objections, Professor Goldfarb. | 我真不明白你的反对理由,Goldfarb教授。 |
Why wouldn't the Sonora Desert make a perfectly good promised land | Sonora沙漠为什么不能成为一个好的"应许之地" (指以色列的国土)? |
-Man(Professor Goldfarb):Go away. | 走开。 |
-Sheldon:We could call it Nuevo Jerusalem. | 可以改名叫新耶路撒冷。 |
-Man(Professor Goldfarb):Please go away. | 请走开。 |
-Sheldon:Said Pharaoh to Moses. | 法老对摩西说的也是这句。 |
-Gablehauser:Why are all these young women here | 怎么来了这么多年轻女孩子? |
| -Leonard:It's Take Your Daughter To Work Day. | 今天是"带女儿上班日"。 |
| -Gablehauser:Really I was not aware of that. | 真的吗?我怎么不知道。 |
| -Raj:Oh, yes. | 没错。 |
| There was a very official e-mail that was sent to everyone whose insurance files indicated they had daughters between the ages of 14 and 16. | 凡是保险档案上写着他们的女儿是14-16岁之间的人,都收到了一封很正式的通知电邮。 |
| -Howard:Smooth. | 说得好。 |
| -Raj:Thank you. | 谢谢。 |
| -Gablehauser:There's the man of the hour. | 主角来了。 |
| -Leonard:Okay, so we now have a socially-awkward genius in a room full of attractive, age-appropriate women. | 好了,现在不善社交的天才和一屋子年龄相仿的漂亮女孩共处一室。 |
| -Howard:All he has to do now is hook up with one of them. | 他只需要搭上其中一个。 |
| -Leonard:Anyone else see the flaw in this plan | 还有谁看出这个计划的缺陷了。 |
| -Raj:We need a social catalyst. | 我们需要个社交催化剂。 |
| -Howard:Like what | 比如什么? |
| -Leonard:We can't get 15-year-old girls drunk. | 咱们也不能灌醉15岁的女孩。 |
| -Howard:Or can we | 或者可以? |
| -Leonard:No, we can't. | 不行,咱们不能。 |
| -Howard:I don't think you mean "we can't." | 我觉得你的意思不是"我们不能", |
| I think you mean "we shouldn't." | 我想你的意思是"我们不该"。 |
| -Sheldon:Hey, Howard, you're a Jew. | 嗨Howard,你是犹太人。 |
| If there was another Wailing Wall exactly like the one in Jerusalem | 假如有一面和耶路撒冷那个一模一样的哭墙, |
| But close to taco stands and cheap prescription drugs, | 不过附近就有墨西哥小吃和廉价药品。 |
| Would you still be able to wail at it | 你还哭得出来吗? |
| Okay, it's definitely me. | 好吧,肯定是我的问题。 |
| -Leonard:Okay, we cannot leave this to chance. | 好吧,咱们不能靠运气。 |
| Let's pick a girl and figure out how to get her together with Dennis. | 挑一个女孩,再想怎么把她和Dennis撮合在一起。 |
| -Raj:Okay, | 好的。 |
| How about that one | 那个怎么样? |
| -Howard:Uh-uh. I know the type. | 不行,我了解这类女孩子。 |
| Cheerleader, student council, goes out with the jocks, | 拉拉队长,学生会成员,专门约会体育健将, |
| Won’t even look at anybody in the gifted program. | 根本不会正眼看优异生班的学生。 |
| And if, after two years of begging, she does agree to go out with you, | 即使在你哀求两年后,她终于肯跟你约会, |
| It turns out to be a setup | 结果你会发现那不过是个圈套。 |
| And you're in the backseat of your mom's car with your pants off | 你在你妈的车后座上脱了裤子, |
| While the whole football team laughs at y... | 橄榄球队全体球员都在笑话你… |
| -Raj:Are you crying | 你哭了吗? |
| -Howard:No, I have allergies. | 没有,我有过敏性反应。 |
| -Raj:Okay, um, oh, hey, how about her | 好吧,那个怎么样? |
| -Leonard:Sure, if he wants to spend a couple years doing her homework | 当然,假如他想花两年时间帮她写作业, |
| While she drinks herself into a stupor with nonfat White Russians. | 而期间她把自己灌的酩酊大醉, |
| And you're the one holding her head out of the toilet | 然后你得在马桶旁边扶着她的头, |
| While she's puking and telling you she wishes "more guys were like you." | 她则一边呕吐一边说,她希望"更多男人像你一样"。 |
| And then she gets into Cornell because you wrote her essay for her | 接着她进了康奈尔大学,因为她的申请作品是你帮她写的, |
| And you drive up to visit her one weekend | 可你周末开车去看她的时候, |
| And she acts like she doesn't even know you. | 她却好像根本不认识你。 |
| -Raj:Okay, so not her, either. | 好吧,那也不选她。 |
| Oh, hey, how about her | 嗨,她怎么样? |
| -Howard:Oh, interesting, kind of pretty, | 有意思,有点姿色, |
| A little chubby, so probably low self-esteem. | 稍嫌丰满,所以可能不太自信。 |
| -Leonard:I think that's our girl. | 我觉得就是她了。 |
| One of us should go talk to her. | 咱们得有个人去跟她聊聊。 |
| -Raj:I can't talk to her-- you do it. | 我不能跟她说话,你去吧。 |
| -Leonard:I can't just go up and talk to her. | 我不能就这么走过去跟她说话。 |
| Howard, you talk to her. | Howard你去跟她聊。 |
| -Howard:I don't know, | 我不知道。 |
| She’ll never go for the kid once she gets a peek at this. | 见识过我的风采之后,她肯定不会再对那孩子动心了。 |
| -Raj:You know, if we were in India, this would be simpler. | 要是在印度就简单了。 |
| Five minutes with her dad, 20 goats and a laptop, and we'd be done. | 跟她爸谈5分钟,20只山羊再加上一部手提电脑,一切搞定。 |
| -Leonard:Well, we're not in India. | 咱们现在不是在印度。 |
| -Raj:All right, why don't we do it your way then | 好吧,那就照你的方案作。 |
| We'll arrange for this girl to move in across the hall from Dennis | 们安排这个女孩搬到Dennis宿舍对面住, |
| So he can pathetically moon over her for months on end. | 这样他就可以每天想着她茶饭不思。 |
| -Leonard:Okay, that was uncalled for. | 你有点过分了。 |
| -Howard:You started it, dude. | 你先开始的,老兄。 |
| -Gablehauser:Could I have everyone's attention, please | 可以占用大家一点时间么。 |
| What a wonderful occasion this is, | 多好的聚会。 |
| And how fortunate that it should happen to fall on Take Your Daughter to Work Day. | 又恰好跟"带女儿上班日"在同一天。 |
| We're here to welcome Mr. Dennis Kim to our little family. | 我们在此欢迎Dennis Kim先生加入我们的小家庭。 |
| -Sheldon:Welcome, Dennis Kim. | 欢迎Dennis Kim。 |
| -Gablehauser:Mr. Kim was not only the valedictorian at Stanford University, | Kim先生不仅是斯坦福毕业典礼的学生致词代表, |
| He is also the youngest recipient of the prestigious Stevenson Award. | 他同时也是著名的史蒂文森奖的最年轻得主。 |
| -Sheldon:Youngest till the cyborgs rise up! | 在半机械人出现之前最年轻的而已! |
| -Gablehauser:And now, without any further ado, | 现在,我不再浪费时间, |
| Let me introduce the man of the hour, Mr. Dennis Kim. | 让我向大家介绍今天的主角Dennis Kim先生。 |
| -Dennis:What! | 什么事! |
| -Gablehauser:Would you like to tell us a little bit about your upcoming research | 你想不想给我们讲讲你接下来的研究方向? |
| -Dennis:No, thanks. | 不了,谢谢。 |
| I'm going to the mall with Emma. | 我要跟Emma去商场。 |
| -Leonard:The kid got a girl. | 那孩子泡到了一个女孩。 |
| -Raj:Unbelievable. | 难以置信。 |
| -Howard:Did anyone see how he did it | 有人看见他是怎么做到的吗? |
| -Sheldon:Don't worry, I've got this. | 别担心,交给我。 |
| Ladies and gentlemen, | 女士们,先生们, |
| Honored daughters, | 尊贵的女儿们。 |
| While Mr. Kim, by virtue of his youth and naivete, | 虽然Kim先生由于他的年轻和天真, |
| Has fallen prey to the inexplicable need for human contact, | 向参与社交的莫名渴望屈服。 |
| Let me step in and assure you that my research will go on uninterrupted, | 让我出来向你们保证,我的研究是不会受到干扰的, |
| And that social relationship will continue to baffle and repulse me. | 社交关系会继续令我感到迷惑和憎恶。 |
| Thank you. | 谢谢。 |
| -Howard:He's back. | 他恢复正常了。 |
| -Leonard:Yeah, mission accomplished. | 任务完成。 |
| -Raj:Forget the mission. | 别管什么任务了。 |
| How did that little yutz get a girl on his own | 那个小崽子是怎么把女孩搞到手的? |
| -Howard:I guess times have changed since we were young. | 我想时代已经和我们小时候不一样了。 |
| Smart is the new sexy. | 聪明就是新一类的性感。 |
| -Leonard:Then why do we go home alone every night | 那咱们怎么每晚还是一个人回家? |
| We're still smart. | 咱们还是聪明啊。 |
| -Raj:Maybe we're too smart. | 也许咱们太聪明了, |
| So smart it's off-putting. | 聪明到让人不舒服的地步。 |
| -Howard:Yeah, let's go with that. | 好吧,就这么想吧。 |
| Unbelievable. | 难以置信。 |
| Components I built are on the International Space Station | 国际空间站上有我亲手造的零件, |
| And I get a ticket for launching a model rocket in the park. | 可我想到公园发射一个火箭模型还得吃张罚单。 |
| -Leonard:I don't know if the ticket was so much for the launch | 我觉得那罚单跟发射无关, |
| As it was for you telling the policewoman, | 更可能是因为你跟那个女说, |
| "You have to frisk me. I have another rocket in my pants." | "你必须搜我的身,我裤子里还有一个火箭"。 |
| -Raj:Hey, look at that. | 嗨,看那边。 |
| -Leonard:It's Dennis Kim. | Dennis Kim。 |
| -Howard:Wow, I almost didn't recognize him. | 喔,我差点没认出他来。 |
| -Raj:You know, I kind of feel bad about what we did to him. | 说起来,咱们对他干的事让我有点内疚。 |
| -Leonard:Yeah, we really ruined his life. | 对,咱们真是毁了他的一生。 |
| -Sheldon:Screw him-- he was weak. | 去他的—是他弱 |