Chapter 1: My Pledge/Oath
第一部:我的誓言
What's your story?
你的情况如何?
You can't speak! You can't understand!
你不会说!你听不懂!
You feel bad! You feel hopeless!
你觉得很糟!你感到绝 望!
That's crazy! Cheer up!
那就太傻了!振作起来 !
It's not the end of the world.
这不是世界末日!
Speaking English is a piece of cake.
说英语是小菜一碟。
Don't look back.
不要畏缩。
Enjoy losing face. Just forget about your face.
热爱丢脸。干脆忘掉你 的面子。
The more mistakes you make, the more progress you make.
你犯的错误越多,你的 进步就越大
Don't give up. Just try your best.
不要放弃。只管尽你最 大的努力。
Relax! Don't panic! Take it easy!
放松!不要恐慌!放松 点!
Be patient and enjoy yourself.
耐心点,好好享受。
Learning English should be fun.
学习英语应该很有意思 。
Speaking good English is no big deal.
说一口流利的英语没什 么大不了。
It's worth your time and effort.
值得你花费时间和精力 。
It's an easy job. Do something about it.
这很简单。赶快来学习 吧。
You have no choice.
你没有选择。
No more excuses! Get moving.
不要再找借口!开始行 动吧。
Let's get started! Let's talk in English!
我们开始吧!我们用英 语交谈吧
You'd better do it now.
你最好现在就开始。
I have every confidence in you.
我对你非常有信心。
I want to be proud of you.
我希望为你感到自豪。
It's my pleasure to help you anytime.
我随时乐意帮助你。
You can count on me! Don't worry about it.
你可以信赖我。不要为 此担心。
I'm serious. I'll try my best (to help you).
我是认真的,我会尽我 最大的努力(帮助你)。
We will make it together.
我们一起成功吧!
广州511信箱 is always your private letter box.
Wish you the best of luck.
Now I'd like invite Kim to read this part as quickly as possible
is a super challenge. I can do it .
What's your story?
你的情况如何?
You can't speak! You can't understand!
你不会说!你听不懂!
You feel bad! You feel hopeless!
你觉得很糟!你感到绝 望!
That's crazy! Cheer up!
那就太傻了!振作起来 !
It's not the end of the world.
这不是世界末日!
Speaking English is a piece of cake.
说英语是小菜一碟。
Don't look back.
不要畏缩。
Enjoy losing face. Just forget about your face.
热爱丢脸。干脆忘掉你 的面子。
The more mistakes you make, the more progress you make.
你犯的错误越多,你的 进步就越大
Don't give up. Just try your best.
不要放弃。只管尽你最 大的努力。
Relax! Don't panic! Take it easy!
放松!不要恐慌!放松 点!
Be patient and enjoy yourself.
耐心点,好好享受。
Learning English should be fun.
学习英语应该很有意思 。
Spea
king good English is no big deal.
说一口流利的英语没什 么大不了。
It's worth your time and effort.
值得你花费时间和精力 。
It's an easy job. Do something about it.
这很简单。赶快来学习 吧。
You have no choice.
你没有选择。
No more excuses! Get moving.
不要再找借口!开始行 动吧。
Let's get started! Let's talk in English!
我们开始吧!我们用英 语交谈吧
You'd better do it now.
你最好现在就开始。
I have every confidence in you.
我对你非常有信心。
I want to be proud of you.
我希望为你感到自豪。
It's my pleasure to help you anytime.
我随时乐意帮助你。
You can count on me! Don't worry about it.
你可以信赖我。不要为 此担心。
I'm serious. I'll try my best (to help you).
我是认真的,我会尽我 最大的努力(帮助你)。
We will make it together.
我们一起成功吧!
第二部 第一节 100个句型
Do you like
Do you like Chinese food/ study Chinese/he/movie/
你喜欢吃中国菜吗?/ 学中文/他/电影/
our city/sports/watching sports/traveling/ cars/driving
我们城市/体育运动/体 育比赛/旅游/汽车/开 车/
chasing girls
追女孩吗?
疯狂句型1 I am... I am an office worker.
我是……。我是上班族 。
疯狂句型 2 I work for...
我在……工作。
I work for the government.
我在机关工作。
疯狂句型3 I'm happy to...
我很高兴……;我很荣 幸……。
I'm happy to meet you.
我很高兴见到你。
疯狂句型4 I like...
我喜欢……。
I like your sense of humor.
我喜欢你的幽默感。
疯狂句型5 I'm glad to...
我很高兴……。
I'm glad to see you again.
我很高兴再次见到你。
疯狂句型6 I'll…
我会……;我将……。
I'll call you.
我会打电话给你。
疯狂句型7 I feel like...
我想……。
I feel like sleeping/taking a walk.
我想睡觉/散步。
疯狂句型8 I want...
我想要……。
I want something to eat.
我想吃点东西。
疯狂句型9 I need...
我需要……。
I need your help.
我需要你的帮助。
疯狂句型10 I would like to...
我想……;我愿意…… 。
I would like to talk to you for a minute.
我想和你谈一下。
疯狂句型11 I have...
我有……。
I have a lot of problems.
我有很多问题。
疯狂句型12
I hope...
我希望……。
I hope our dreams come true.
我希望我们的梦想成真 。
疯狂句型13 I'm looking forward to...
我期待……;我期望… …。
I'm looking forward to seeing you.
我期望见到你。
疯狂句型14 I'm supposed to...
我应该……。
I'm supposed to go on a diet/get a raise.
我应该节食/涨工资。
疯狂句型15 I heard...
我听说……。
I heard that you're getting married. Congratulations!
我听说你要结婚了,恭 喜恭喜!
疯狂句型16 I see...
我知道……。
I see what you mean.
我
了解你的意思。
疯狂句型17 I can't...
我不能……。
I can't do this.
我不能这么做。
疯狂句型18 Let me...
让我……。
Let me explain why I was late.
让我解释迟到的理由。
疯狂句型19 Let's...
让咱们……。
Let's have a beer or something.
咱们喝点啤酒什么的。
疯狂句型20 Where is...?
……在哪里?
Where is your office?
你们的办公室在哪里?
疯狂句型21 What is...?
……是什么?
What is your plan?
你的计划是什么?
疯狂句型22 When is...?
什么时候……
When is the store closing?
这家店什么时候结束营 业?
疯狂句型23 Would you care to...?
你愿意……吗?
Would you care to see it/sit down for a while?
你要不要看/坐一会儿 吗?
疯狂句型24 Are you sure...?
你肯定……吗?
Are you sure you can come by at nine?
你肯定你九点能来吗?
疯狂句型25 Am I allowed to...?
我可以……吗?
Am I allowed to stay out past 10?
我可以十点过后再回家 吗?
疯狂句型26 be scheduled to...
排定时间或日期……
The meeting was scheduled for two hours, but it is not over yet.
会议原定两个小时,不 过到现在还没有结束。疯狂句型27
...birthday is...
生日是……。
Tom's birthday is this week.
汤姆的生日就在这个星 期。
疯狂句型28 Can you…?
能请你……?
Can you cover for me on Friday/help me/tell me how to get there?
星期五能不能请你替我 值班/你能帮我吗?/你 能告诉我到那里怎么走 吗?
疯狂句型29 Could you...?
能否请你……?
Could you do me a big favor?
能否请你帮我个忙?
疯狂句型30 crazy about...
对……很着迷。
He is crazy about Crazy English.
疯狂句型31 Can you imagine...?
你能想像……吗?
Can you imagine how much he paid for that car?
你能想像他买那部车付 了多少钱吗?
疯狂句型32 Can you believe...?
你相信……吗?
Can you believe that I bought a TV for $25?
你相信我用25美元买了 一台电视吗?
疯狂句型33 Did you know...?
你知道……吗?
Did you know he was having an affair/cheating on his wife?
你知道他有外遇了吗/ 对妻子不忠吗?
疯狂句型34 Did you hear about...?
你听说……了吗?/你 知道……吗?
Did you hear about the new project?
你知道那个新项目吗?
疯狂句型35 Do you realize...?
你知道……吗?
Do you realize that all of these shirts are half off?
你知道这些衬衫都卖半 价吗?
疯狂句型36 Do you mind if...?
你介意……吗?
Do you mind if I take tomorrow off?
你介意我明天请假吗?
疯狂句型37 enjoy...
很喜欢……
I enjoy working with you very much.
我很喜欢和你一起工作 。
疯狂句型38 ended up...
最终是……。
Did you know that Stone ended up marrying his secretary?
你知道吗?斯通最后和 他的秘书结婚
了。
疯狂句型39 get together...
聚在一起……。
Let's get together for lunch.
我们一起吃午餐吧。
疯狂句型40 getting...for...
获得……以作为……。
I'm getting a new computer for a birthday present.
疯狂句型41 How did you do on...?
你……的表现如何?
How did you do on your test?
你这次考试考得怎样?
疯狂句型42 Do you think...?
你认为……?
Do you think you can come?
你认为你能来吗?
疯狂句型43 How was...?
……怎么样?
How was your weekend?
你周末过得怎么样?
疯狂句型44 Here...
……在这里。/这是… …。
Here is my card.
这是我的名片。
疯狂句型45 be used to...
习惯于……。
He is used to eating out all the time.
他已经习惯了总是在外 面吃饭。
疯狂句型46 Have you ever...?
你有没有……?
Have you ever driven a BMW?
你有没有开过"宝马"?
疯狂句型47 How about...?
……怎么样?
How about if we go tomorrow instead?
我们改成明天去怎么样 ?
疯狂句型48 How do you like...?
你觉得……怎么样?
How do you like Hong Kong?
你觉得怎么样?
疯狂句型49 How do you want...?
你要怎么样的……?
How do you want your steak?
你的牛排要几分熟?
疯狂句型50 How did...do...?
如何做到……?
How did Mary make all of her money?
玛丽所有的钱是怎么赚 到的?
疯狂句型51 How did...?
……进行得怎么样?
How did the game turn out?
比赛结果怎么样?
疯狂句型52 How was...?
……怎么样?
How was your date?
你的约会怎么样?
疯狂句型53 How are you doing with...?
……做得如何?
How are you doing with your new boss?
你跟你的新上司相处得 如何?
疯狂句型54 How should I...?
我该如何……?
How should I tell him the bad news?
我该如何告诉他这个坏 消息?
疯狂句型55 How much...?
多少……?
How much money did you make?
你赚了多少钱?
疯狂句型56 How much does it cost to...?
……要多少钱?
How much does it cost to go abroad?
出国要多少钱?
疯狂句型57 How long will it take to...?
……要多久?
How long will it take to get to your house?
到你家要多久?
疯狂句型58 How long have you...?
你……多久了?
How long have you been here?
你在这里多久了?
疯狂句型59 How...!
多么……!/真……!
How nice/pretty/cold/fun ny/stupid/boring/int eresting!
真好!/真漂亮!/真冷 !/真好玩!/真傻!真 无聊!/真有趣!
疯狂句型60 How about...?
……如何?/……怎么 样?
How about going out for dinner?
出去吃晚餐如何?
疯狂句型61 I'm sorry...
我对……很遗憾/感到 难过。
I'm sorry that you didn't get the job.
很遗憾,你没有得到那 份工作。
疯狂句型62 I'm afraid...
我恐怕……。
I'm afraid that it's not going to work ou
t.
我恐怕这事不会成的。
疯狂句型63 I guess...
我想……。
I guess I could come over.
我想我能来。
疯狂句型 Is it okay to...?
……可以吗?
Is it okay to smoke in the office?
在办公室里抽烟可以吗 ?
疯狂句型65 It was kind of...
有一点……。
It was kind of exciting.
有一点刺激。
疯狂句型66 I know what...
我知道……是什么。
I know what you want.
我知道你想要什么。
疯狂句型67 Is that why...?
就是这个缘故才导致… …吗?
Is that why you doing want to go home?
就是这个缘故,你才不 想回家的吗?
疯狂句型68 I'm sure...
我很肯定……
I'm sure we can get you a great/good deal.
我很肯定我们可以帮你 做成一笔好交易。
疯狂句型69 Help...with帮忙做… …
Would you help me with the report?
你愿意帮我写报告吗?
疯狂句型70 I didn't know...
我不知道……。
I didn't know he was the richest person in the world.
我不知道他是世界首富 。
疯狂句型71 I'll have to...
我必须……。
I'll have to ask my boss/wife first.
我必须先问一下我的老 板/老婆。
疯狂句型72 I take it...
这么说来,我认定你是 ……。
I take it you don't agree.
这么说来,我认为你是 不同意。
疯狂句型73 I tried...
我试过……。
I tried losing weight, but nothing worked.
我曾试着减肥,但是毫 无效果。
疯狂句型74 It makes no sense to...
做……没有任何意义。
It doesn't make any sense to get up so early.
那么早起来,没有任何 意义。
疯狂句型75 It feels like...
感觉像是……
It feels like spring/I've been here before.
感觉好像春天到了。/ 感觉好像我以前来过这 里。
疯狂句型76 It took + 表示时间的词不达意+ to...
做某事花了……(时间 )。
It took years of hard work to speak good English/Chinese.
讲一口流利的英语/中 文需要多年的刻苦操练 。
疯狂句型77 I wonder if...
我在想是否……。
I wonder if they can make it.
我在想他们是不是能办 得到。
疯狂句型78 It's not as...as...
它不像……一样。
It's not as cold/hot as it was yesterday.
今天的天气不像昨天的 那么冷/热。
It's not as easy as you think.
它不像你想像的那么容 易。
疯狂句型79 It's not...;it's...
不是……的问题,而是 ……。
It's not his work that bothers me; it's his attitude.
困扰我的不是他的工作 ,而是他的态度。
疯狂句型80 It sounds...
听起来……。
It sounds like you enjoyed it.
听起来你好像蛮喜欢的 。
疯狂句型81 It seems...
好像……。
It seems to me that he would like to go back home.
我觉得他好像想要回家 。
疯狂句型82 It looks...
看起来……。
It looks very nice.
看起来很漂亮。
疯狂句型83 Is everything...?
一切都……吗?
Is everything under c
ontrol?
一切都在掌握之中吗?
疯狂句型84 I thought...
我以为……。
I thought you could do a better job.
我以为你能做得更好。
疯狂句型85 It's time to...
是……的时候了。
It's time for us to say "No" to America.
是我们对美国说"不"的 时候了。
疯狂句型86 (It's) supposed to...
(那)应当是……。
The show is supposed to be good.
这场表演应当是相当好 的。
疯狂句型87 It really depends on...
那全看……情况而定。
It really depends on who is in charge.
那纯粹要看谁负责了。
疯狂句型88 It involves a lot of...
那要牵涉到很多……。
It involves a lot of hard work.
那需要很多的辛勤工作 。
疯狂句型 in...favor
对……有利。
That might be in your favor.
那可能对你有利。
疯狂句型90 I didn't realize...
我不知道……。
I didn't realize how much this meant to you.
我不知道这个对你意义 有多大。
疯狂句型91 I didn't mean to...
我不是故意……。
I didn't mean to offend you.
我不是故意冒犯你的。
疯狂句型92 I was wondering if...
我想知道……
I was wondering if you were doing anything this weekend.
我想知道这个周末你有 什么要做。
疯狂句型93 May I...?
我可以……吗?
May I have your attention, please?
请大家注意一下。
疯狂句型94 This is great...weather.
这是个……的好天气。
This is great golfing/swimming/pic nic weather.
这是个打高尔夫球/游 泳/野餐的好天气。
疯狂句型95 Thanks for...
谢谢你……。
Thanks for taking me to the movie.
谢谢你带我去看电影。
疯狂句型96 too...to...
太……以致于不能…… 。
I am too tired to speak.
我累得说不出话来。
疯狂句型97 There is...
有……。
There is a TV show about AIDS on right now.
电视正播映一个有关爱 滋病的节目。
疯狂句型98 Would you...?
你能……?
Would you tell me your phone number?
你能告诉我你的电话号 码吗?
疯狂句型99 Where did you...?
你从哪里……呢?
Where did you learn to speak English?
你从哪里学会说英语的 呢?
疯狂句型100 What do you think of...?
你认为……如何?
What do you think of his new job/this magazine?
你对他的新工作/这本 杂志看法如何?
额外奉献 疯狂句型101 What makes you...?
是什么让你……?
What makes you change your mind?
是什么让你改变了主意 ?
1. Absolutely not.
绝对不是。
2. Are you coming with me?
你跟我一起去吗?
3. Are you sure?
你能肯定吗?
4. As soon as possible.
尽快。
A:When does this work need to be finished?
这工作需要什么时候完 成?
B:As soon as possible.
尽快。
5. Believe me.
相信我。
6. Buy it!
买下来!
7. Call me tomorrow.
明天打电话给我。
8. Can you speak slowly?
请您说得慢些好吗?
9. Come with
me!
跟我来!
10. Congratulations!
恭喜恭喜!
11. Do it right!
把它做对!
12. Do you mean it?
你是当真的吗?
13. Do you see him often?
你经常见到他吗?
14. Do you understand?
你明白了吗?
15. Do you want it?
你要吗?
16. Do you want something?
你想要些什么
17. Don't do it.
不要做!
18. Don't exaggerate。
不要夸张:
19. Don't tell me that.
不要告诉我;
A: We have to attend a boring meeting tomorrow.
明天我们要参加一个无 聊的会议。
B: Don't tell me that. I wanted to relax and go shopping.
不要告诉我。我想轻松 一下,上街去购物。
20. Give me a hand.
帮我一下。
21. Go right ahead.
一直往前走。
22. Have a good trip.
祝旅途愉快。
23. Have a nice day.
祝你过得愉快。
24. Have you finished?
你做完了吗?
25. He doesn't have time.
他没空。
26. He is on his way.
他现在已经在路上了。
27. How are you doing?
你好吗?
28. How long are you staying?
你要呆多久?
29. I am crazy about her.
我对她着迷了。
30. I am wasting my time.
我在浪费时间。
31. I can do it.
我能做到。
32. I can't believe it?
我简直不能相信。
A: Stone was thrown into jail last night.
斯通昨晚进了监狱。
B: I can't believe it! He's such a great guy.
我简直不敢相信!他是 个多好的人!
This news will kill his mother.
这消息会让他妈妈发疯 的。
33. I can't wait.
我不能再等了。
34. I don't have time.
我没有时间。
35. I don't know anybody.
我一个人都不认识。
36. I don't like it.
我不喜欢。
37. I don't think so.
我认为不是。
38. I feel much better.
我感觉好多了。
39. I found it.
我找到了。
40. I hope so.
我希望如此。
41. I knew it.
我早知道了。
42. I noticed that.
我注意到了。
43. I see.
我明白了。
44. I speak English well.
我英语说得很好。
45. I think so.
我认为是这样的。
46. I want to speak with him.
我想跟他说话。
47. I won.
我赢了。
48. I would like a cup of coffee, please.
请给我一杯咖啡。
49. I'm hungry.
我饿死了。
50. I'm leaving.
我要走了。
51. I'm sorry.
对不起。
52. I'm used to it.
我已经习惯了。
53. I'I,miss you.
我会想念你的。
A: I'm leaving for Hong Kong tomorrow.
我明天去。
B: I'll miss you.
我会想你的。
54. I'll try.
我试试看?
55. I'm bored.
我很无聊?
56. I'm busy.
我很忙。
57. I'm having fun.
我玩得很开心。
58. I'm ready.
我准备好了,
59. I've got it.
我明白了。
60. I've had it.
我受够了。
61. It's incredible!
真是难以置信!
62. Is it far?
很远吗?
63. It doesn't matter.
没关系。
. It smells good.
闻起来很香。
65. It's about time.
是时候了?
66. It's all right.
没关系?
67. It's easy.
很容
易。
68. It's good.
很好。
69. It's near here.
离这里很近。
70. It's nothing.
没什么。
71. It's time to go.
该走了。
72. It's different.
那是不同的。
73. It's funny.
很滑稽。
74. It's impossible.
那是不可能的。
75. It's not bad.
还行。
A: What do you think about the used car I just bought?
你觉得我刚买的那部二 手车如何?
B: It's not bad.
还行。
76. It's not difficult.
不难。
77. It's not worth it.
不值得。
78. It's obvious.
很明显的。
79. It's the same thing.
还是一样的。
80. It's your turn.
轮到你了。
81. Let me know.
告诉我-
82. Let me see.
让我想一想。
83. Me too.
我也一样。
84. Not yet.
还没有!
85. Relax!
放松!
86. See you tomorrow.
明天见。
87. She is my best friend.
她是我最好的朋友。
88. She is so smart.
她真聪明。
. Show me.
指给我看。
90. Tell me.
告诉我。
91. Thank you very much.
多谢。
92. That happens.
这样的事情经常发生。
A: I can't believe that
我不敢相信
I called my girlfriend/wife/fa ther the wrong name.
我竟然叫错了女朋友/ 妻子/父亲的名字。
93. That's enough.
够了。
94. That's interesting.
很有趣。
95. That's right.
对了。
96. That's true.
这是真的。
97. There are too many people here.
这里人太多。
98. They like each other.
他们互相倾慕。
99. Think about it.
考虑一下。
100. Too bad!
太糟糕啦!
101. Wait for me.
等等我。
102. What did he say?
他说什么?
103. What do you think?
你认为怎样?
104. What is he talking about?
他在说些什么?
105. What terrible weather!
多坏的天气!
106. What's going on/what's happening/What's the problem?
怎么啦?
107. What's the date today?
今天几号?
108. Where are you going?
你去哪里?
109. Where is he?
他在哪里?
110. You are impatient.
你太性急了。
A: I don't think my daughter will ever learn to speak English!
我觉得我女儿不可能学 会说英语了!
B: I think you're too impatient. She's only three years old!
你太性急了。她才三岁 !
111. You look tired.
你看上去很累。
112. You surprise me.
你让我大吃一惊。
113. You're crazy.
你疯了。
114. You're welcome.
别客气。
115. You're always right.
你总是对的。
116. you're in a bad mood.
你心情不好。
117. You're lying.
你在撒谎。
118. You're wrong.
你错了。
Greatest sentences Ever to Practice sound
1. If you exaggerate, you will sound fantastically American!
如果将发音夸张一些, 你听起来会美国味十足 !
2. A: My exam was a disaster.
我的考试简直是一塌糊 涂。
B:You didn't pass? That's too bad. You'll have another chance.
你没有通过吗?太遗憾 了。你会有另外一个机 会的。
A: No. That was my last chance.
不,那是
我最后一次机 会。
3. That's a fact.
那是事实。
4. Saturday I am planning to go dancing.
星期六我计划去跳舞。
5. I am happy/glad to have you back from Japan.
我很高兴你从日本回来 。
6. That man/actor had a bad accent and bad grammar.
那个男人/演员口音很 糟糕,而且语法错误很 多。
7. There was a bad traffic accident.
发生了一起糟糕的交通 事故。
That hacker into the back of my van and killed my cat.
出租车撞到了我面包车 的后背,撞死了我的猫 。
Too bad it wasn't my wife because I loved my cat.
太遗憾了,死的不是我 太太,因为我爱我的猫 。
8. Don't laugh behind other people's backs.
不要在背后取笑别人。
9. Come back after you finish your math exam.
完成数学测验之后回来 :
10. My grandfather was a bad man,
我的祖父是个坏人,
and he treated my grandmother very badly.
他对祖母非常不好。
11. I'm so glad that nothing bad had happened.
我很高兴没发生什么糟 糕的事情。
12. As a matter of fact, I think he is an asshole.
事实上,我认为他是个 混蛋。
13. Look at that fat ass on that fat man.
看看那个胖子的屁股多 大。
14. You're not such a bad apple/bad egg after all.
你毕竟还不是太坏。
15. There's always a bad apple in every class.
每个班都有几粒老鼠屎 。
16. Good employees get a pat on the back,
员工表现得好,老板会 拍拍他的背,
while good secretaries get a pat on the ass.
而秘书做得好,老板则 会拍拍她的屁股。
17. She deserves a pat on the back.
她应该得到表扬。
18. Pats on the back weren't enough; he wanted fast cash.
只有表扬是不够的,他 要的是看得见、摸得着 的现金!
19. These back-to-back appointments are giving me
这一连串的约会
a heart attack/killing me/affecting my health.
使得我筋疲力尽。
20. Back-to-back defeats made him sad.
连续的失败使他很伤心 。
发泄的句子
21. Stop picking on me and get off my back. Man! I've had it.
老兄,别再对我挑剔了 ,别再找我麻烦了。我 受够了!
22. Get off my back, will ya? I'll do it when I have time.
别罗嗦了,好不好?我 有时间就去做。
23. Get your crap off my bed!
把你那些乱七八糟的破 玩意儿从我床上搬走。
伟大的句子
24. Laughter has no foreign accent.
笑声没有外国口音。
25. Such men are the backbone of the country.
这样的人是国家的栋梁 。
26. Selfishness and unhappiness often go hand in hand.
自私的人通常无幸福可 言。
27. He who laughs last laughs best.
谁笑到最后,谁就笑得 最好。
超级挑战 28. The voters had a backlash against rising gas taxes.
选民强烈反对增加汽油 税。
29. A bad black man tried to crash the rally,
一个黑人坏蛋企图要混 进我们的聚会,
but my dad called the cop
s.
我父亲打电话叫来了警 察。
集中训练
30. The manager was hired at a handsome salary.
这个经理被高薪聘用。
31. We must take action before it is too late.
我们必须及早采取行动 。
32. Actions are more important than words.
行动胜过语言。
33. That man is always handing out unwanted advice.
那个人总是给别人没有 用的建议。
34. We handed in our exams at the last minute of the class.
在下课的最后一刻,我 们交了试卷。
35. The two brothers worked hand in hand.
两兄弟携手合作。
36. The family went to the graduation at Stanford.
全家人去斯坦福大学参 加了毕业典礼。
37. I ran as fast as I could.
我跑得不能再快了。
38. We had to act fast.
我们不得不尽快行动。
39. It happened in the past.
它发生在过去。
40. Don't miss you last chance.
不要错过最后的机会。
41. It is absolutely impossible to cure AIDS.
要治愈艾滋病是绝对不 可能的。
42. We will have a fat chance to win the game on Saturday.
我们几乎没有可能赢得 星期六的比赛。
43. Casual dress is becoming more and more fashionable.
休闲服装变得越来越流 行。
44. The match won't catch.
这火柴擦不着。
45. The dog went after a rabbit but didn't catch it.
狗追兔子,但没有逮住 兔子.
46. The mad dog ran past Dan.
那只疯狗从丹身边跑过 。
47. Alice dashed to the back of the shack to stash the bag.
艾丽斯跑到小木屋后面 把包藏起来。
48. Stan took a rabbit from his magic hat.
斯坦从他的魔术帽里把 兔子拿出来。
49. A: Damn it.
混蛋。
B: Watch your mouth!
嘴巴放干净一点!
A: I learned that bad habit from you.
这个坏习惯是你传给我 的。
You should have watched your mouth first.
你应该先注意自己。
nasty
dirty bad unpleasant disgusting unkind offensive
bad to deal with or experience
1. a nasty mind
卑鄙肮脏的思想
2. nasty language
污秽不堪的语言
3. live a cheap and nasty life
过低贱的生活
4. It’s a tacky, nasty little movie.
这是一部庸俗、下流、 不值一看的电影。
5. a nasty smell
难闻的气味
6. a nasty taste
难吃的味道
7. cold, wet, nasty weather
寒冷多雨的恶劣天气
8. a nasty habit
恶习
9. a nasty temper
臭脾气
10. a nasty attack of coughs
一阵剧烈的咳嗽
11. a nasty accident
严重的事故
12. a nasty look in his eyes
眼露凶光
13. a nasty room
脏乱的房间
14. a nasty book
下流书
15. say nasty things about sb.
恶语中伤某人
第四节 四五六星级单词
accomplish
做成功;完成;实现; 达成
1. They accomplished their mission.
他完成了使命。
2. A lazy man can never accomplish anything.
懒惰的人永远一事无成 。
3. We tried to arrange a peace agreement, but accomplished nothing.
我们试图达成和平协议 ,但毫无成效。
4. She'
s accomplished a lot/great deal in the last few weeks.
她在前几个星期里做成 了很多事情。
5. The task of modernization will not be accomplished in one generation.
现代化的任务不是一代 人所能完成的。
6. How did they accomplish so much so quickly?
他们何以能如此迅速地 取得这么巨大的成就?
7. I don't think our President's visit to Japan really accomplished anything.
我认为我们总统访日并 未取得什么真正成效。
8. Crazy English is the best method to accomplish
疯狂英语是实现你征服
your goal of conquering English.
英语这一目标的最好方 法。
9. We can absolutely accomplish whatever you can
你们能做到的事情,我 们也能做到,
with better and quicker results.
而且会做做得更快更好 。
10. We need capable and experienced hands.
我们需要有能力和有经 验的老手,
Ideas just don't accomplish themselves.
只有想法并不能成事。
11. Frankly speaking,
坦率地说,
I don't see what you can possibly accomplish here.
我看不出你在这儿能干 出什么来。
12. All this work was accomplished in a week.
所有这些工作都是在一 个星期内完成的。
第二部 第五节 语法
巨大的进步
A big improvement
quickly
(1) Paul recently completed / finished a Crazy English class,
(1)保罗最近结束了疯 狂英语的课程,
and he's very proud of the results. His family has noticed
他为自己的成绩感到骄 傲。
that he's speaking English more loudly, more clearly,
他的家人发现他在说英 语时,
more fluently and more confidently than ever before.
比以往更大声、更清晰 、更流利,而且更加自 信;
His boss has noticed that he's more effective and successful in his work.
他的老板发觉他在工作 中更有效率、更成功了 。
All his friends tell him that he's friendlier,
他所有的朋友都告诉他 ,
less shy and more outgoing than before.
他变得比以前更友好、 更直爽,
And Paul himself has noticed that he's more comfortable
而且不那么害羞/胆子 也大了。
and relaxed when he speaks in front of people
保罗自己也察觉到他在 众人面前说英语时,
and he's even enjoying himself more at parties.
愈加轻松自如,甚至在 派对上都玩得更开心。
Paul is feeling much better about himself these days.
保罗这些天自我感觉好 了很多。
That's why he's now recommending Crazy English to everybody he knows.
这就是他现在向所有认 识的人推荐"疯狂英语" 的原因。
Feeling good about yourself is the key to a happier
自我感觉良好是拥有更 快乐和更有成就感的生 活关键
and more productive life.
是拥有快乐生活和成功 事业的关键。
Being a good English speaker will
成为一个口语流利者,
definitely make you feel good about yourself.
你一定会感觉良好。
(1) Paul recently completed / finished a C
razy English class,
(1)保罗最近结束了疯 狂英语的课程,
and he's very proud of the results. His family has noticed
他为自己的成绩感到骄 傲。
that he's speaking English more loudly, more clearly,
他的家人发现他在说英 语时,
more fluently and more confidently than ever before.
比以往更大声、更清晰 、更流利,而且更加自 信;
His boss has noticed that he's more effective and successful in his work.
他的老板发觉他在工作 中更有效率、更成功了 。
All his friends tell him that he's friendlier,
他所有的朋友都告诉他 ,
less shy and more outgoing than before.
他变得比以前更友好、 更直爽,
And Paul himself has noticed that he's more comfortable
而且不那么害羞/胆子 也大了。
and relaxed when he speaks in front of people
保罗自己也察觉到他在 众人面前说英语时,
and he's even enjoying himself more at parties.
愈加轻松自如,甚至在 派对上都玩得更开心。
Paul is feeling much better about himself these days.
保罗这些天自我感觉好 了很多。
That's why he's now recommending Crazy English to everybody he knows.
这就是他现在向所有认 识的人推荐"疯狂英语" 的原因。
Feeling good about yourself is the key to a happier
自我感觉良好是拥有更 快乐和更有成就感的生 活关键
and more productive life.
是拥有快乐生活和成功 事业的关键。
Being a good English speaker will
成为一个口语流利者,
definitely make you feel good about yourself.
你一定会感觉良好。
第二部 第五节
第二篇 辛劳的回报
被动语态的妙用
Hard work pays off
(1) 2000 was a great year for Donna.
(1)2000年对于唐娜 来说真是太幸运了。
In January she was hired by the Stone-Cliz International
她一月份被Stone-Cliz
English Promotion Company as a personal assistant.
国际英语推广公司聘为 私人助理;
In March she was sent to school by the company to
三月份,公司派她去学 习信息管理;
study information management. In April she was given a raise.
四月,获得了一次加薪 ;就在一个月以后,她 又被提升
Just one month later, she was promoted to
为所在部门的主管。
the position of supervisor of her department.
(2)七月份,她被评 选为"本月最佳员工";
(2) In July she was chosen "Employee of the Month."
九月,她再一次得到了 加薪;
In September she was given another raise.
十月,她获得申请公司
In October she was invited to apply for a position
驻纽约海外办事处的职 位的机会;
in the company's overseas office in New York.
十二月,唐娜获得那份 新工作,
And in December she was given the new job
并动身飞往关国
and flown to America to begin to work.
走上了她新的工作岗位 。
(3) Donna certainly has had a very incredible year.
(3)这对唐娜来说当然
是不可思议的一年,
She can't believe all the amazing things
她简直不敢相信自己
that have happened to her since she was hired just one year ago.
被聘用一年以来,遇上 了那么多幸运的事情。
(4) You see, hard work and devotion paid off for Donna.
(4)你瞧,全身心投入 工作换来了唐娜的成就 。
She knows the golden rule , "you must give to receive. "
她深深知道为人的黄金 准则,那就是"有付出 才有收获。"
She gave one hundred percent effort to her job
她付出了百分之百的努 力,
and reached unbelievable success!
也取得了令人难以置信 的成功!
第六节 三最短文
接受新闻周 刊采访
What impressed you during your U.S. visit?
此次美国之行有什么令 您印象深刻?
What impressed me most was that wherever I went,
令我印象最深的是,无 论走到哪里
I was received in a very friendly manner
我都得到了美国人民
by the American people.
非常友好的接待,
And I was given a very warm reception by the U.S.
美国和各种非 组织也给予了我
government and the various non-governmental organizations.
极其热情的款待、
And I was able to have very sincere
同时还有机会和包括政 府在内的
and candid conversations with people from
各界人士/各领域人士
various walks of life including government officials.
进行一些既真诚又坦率 的谈话。所有这些观点 的交流已经
And these exchanges of views have proven very helpful
证实了是非常有助于促 进两国之间的相互了解 的/事实证明,这些观 点的
in promoting mutual understanding between the two sides.
交流对促进两国之间的 相互了解起了很大的作 用。
What impressed me most was that wherever I went,
令我印象最深的是,无 论走到哪里
I was received in a very friendly manner
我都得到了美国人民
by the American people.
非常友好的接待,
And I was given a very warm reception by the U.S.
美国和各种非 组织也给予了我
government and the various non-governmental organizations.
极其热情的款待、
And I was able to have very sincere
同时还有机会和包括政 府在内的
and candid conversations with people from
各界人士/各领域人士
various walks of life including government officials.
进行一些既真诚又坦率 的谈话。所有这些观点 的交流已经
And these exchanges of views have proven very helpful
证实了是非常有助于促 进两国之间的相互了解 的/事实证明,这些观 点的
in promoting mutual understanding between the two sides.
交流对促进两国之间的 相互了解起了很大的作 用。
第二部 第七节
生活实际问题 单相思 我该怎么办
Unrequited love
单恋
Dear Ms. Know-it-all,
亲爱的万事通小姐,
In 1997, when I was finishing college,
在我1997
7与大学毕业之 际,
I met a beautiful girl and we became good friends.
我遇上了一位漂亮的女 孩并成为了好朋友。
After graduation we kept in touch through letters.
毕业后,我们一直保持 着书信来往。
Gradually I found I was in love with her.
渐渐地,我发觉我爱上 了她。
(2) As a result, I refused the advances of another woman
(2) 结果,我拒绝了办公室 一位女孩的求爱,
I knew in my office, and at that point,
与此同时,
I realized I should make my feelings known to the woman I loved.
我意识到应该让我所爱 的人知道我的感情。
(3) I wrote a letter to her expressing my love.
(3)于是,我写了一封 信向她表达我的爱意。
She responded right away.
她很快就给我回信了:
To my great disappointment, she refused my love,
让我失望至极的是,她 拒绝了我。
saying she had always thought of me as her big brother
她说,她一直都把我当 成是大哥哥,
and that she just enjoyed exchanging ideas
只是喜欢
and thoughts with me.
与我交流思想而已。
I am in so much pain now and don't know what to do.
我现在伤心极了,不知 该如何是好,
Should I continue to keep in touch with her
我应该继续与她联系呢 ,
or forget her and disappear from her life?
还是忘记她、从她的生 活中消失?
I hope I can get some advice from big sister Ms. Know-it-all.
我希望万事通姐姐能给 我一些建议?
Dear Li Yang
亲爱的李阳,
(1) On a pain scale of one to ten, unrequited love,
(1)在大大小小的痛楚 中,单相思
or love that is given but not returned,
或没有回报的爱所带来 的痛楚
can be right up there just above an operation
和手术或看牙医后的痛 相比,
or a visit to the dentist. It is much worse than both.
前两者更甚于后两者。
Medical procedures tend to heal quickly.
医疗手段可以很快治愈 肉体的创伤,
But broken hearts can take years to hears to heal
而破碎的心却需要多年 才能复原,
and sometimes never do.
有时甚至终生也难以愈 治。
(2) Most of us have our first run in / encounter / experience
(2)大多数人在十 岁
with unrequited love in our late teens, during high school.
都有过单相思的经历。
We watch from afar as our truly beloved
时远远地看着
wanders the halls of the school.
自己所爱的人在学校大 礼堂漫步,
We make every effort to spend as much time
想方设法地尽
with that person as possible.
可能与心仪的人呆在一 起;
We also make every effort to be sure that
我们也会力图把爱埋在 心底,
person does not know how in love we really are.
不让对方知道我们是多 么的爱她。
But that is no way to go through life.
然而,我们总不能就这 样度过一生。
(3)So then comes he inevitable/unavoida ble day
(3)因此,当看了无数 次"铁达尼号"
when we
have watched "Titanic" too
和听了无数遍席林·迪 翁的歌以后,
many times or listened to too much Celine Dion
在那个迟早都会来临的 日子里,
and we get up our courage and go to them in a dramatic flurry
我们终于鼓起勇气忐忑 不安地走向她们,
and confess our true feelings.
坦白我们内心最真实的 情感。
(4)A couple of hours later it is all over with
(4)几小时之后,一切 都已结束。
and all we want to do is turn back time
我们惟一所希望的就是 让时光倒流,
and go back to admiring them from afar.
回到远地赞赏她们的那 个时候;
We want to go back to the sweet taste of our fantasies thinking
回到我们甜美的梦境中 ,
how wonderful it will be when we can be together.
想着能与她在一起有多 么的美妙。
We want to go back there because rejection leaves a bad taste
我们想回到从前,
in our mouths that we can never quite get rid of.
只因她们的拒绝在我们 心中留下的阴影挥之不 去。
(5)My advice to you is to,let her go.
(5)我的建议是由她去 ?
You can't force her to fall in love with you.
你不能强迫她爱你,
The only thing worse is begging her to love you.
更不要去乞求她爱你。
(6)It is difficult for me to even advise you
(6)我甚至难以建议
to maintain your good friendship with her,
你继续保持与她的友谊 ,
because much like being on a teeter-totter
这跟叫你与一个比你重 许多的
with someone heavier than yourself,
人玩跷跷板没什么区别 ,
things will just never be even / balanced / equal.
结果都是不可能的,
I hope you feel better and I wish you the best of luck.
希望我所说的对你会有 所帮助,祝你好运!
Sincerely, Ms. Know-it-all
万事通小姐
第二部 第八节 成语的挑战
Going out for the evening
晚上外出
I'm sick and tired of having to support my brother just
我受不了要给我兄弟 经济上的帮助,
because he refuses to go out and find a job.
因为他不到外面找工作 。
I'm sick and tired of having to support my brother just
我受不了要给我兄弟经 济上的帮助,
because he refuses to go out and find a job.
因为他不到外面找工作 。
I'm sick and tired of having to support my brother just
我受不了要给我兄弟经 济上的帮助,
because he refuses to go out and find a job.
因为他不到外面找工作 。
Going out for the evening
晚上外出
A: Let's go to the movies. There's a good one playing now.
去看电影吧,有部好片 子正在放映。
B: I'd like to, but I can't. I really have to study.
我想去,但是不行,我 要学习。
I wasted the whole afternoon.
我已经浪费了一个下午 。
I forgot I had to brush up on my English.
我突然才想起
Then, all of a sudden I remembered.
我忘记温习英语了。
A: Oh, come on! We'll be home early/before 11.
噢,走吧!我
们会早点 儿回家的/十一点之前 回来的。
B: No, I'd better not. I have a big exam tomorrow.
不,我不能这样。我明 天有一个重要的考试。
I was about to study when you came in. You know how it is
你进来的时候我正要学 习呢。
if you don't study, you don't pass. That goes without saying.
你也知道的,如果不准 备的话,不用说肯定过 不了。
A: Exam? Tomorrow? Oh-oh!
考试?明天?噢噢!
B: What's the matter/what's wrong?
怎么啦?/出了什么事 ?
A: I just remembered. I have a test, too!
我刚记起我明天也有考 试!
B:We can go to the movies some other time.
我们可以下次去看电影 嘛。
brush up on something:
提高,重新获得
We wish something to make it flash again in one's mind.
我们希望重新记起来某 物。
They came here to brush up on technology.
他们来这里提高了技术 。
I really need to brush up on my English.
我真的很需要提高我的 英语水平。
I'm going to give a speech tomorrow,
我打算明天发表演讲,
so I have to brush up on my notes.
所以我要重新记住我的 笔记。
Professor Wang has not given a talk on management for a long time,
王教授很久没有发表管 理方面的演讲了,
so he has to brush up on some of the new ideas.
所以他得学习一些新的 理论。
all of a sudden:
突然间
Something happening quickly without advanced warning.
事先没有预兆,突然发 生。
Lisa looks very sad, but then, all of a sudden, she began to laugh.
丽莎看起来很伤心,但 是她突然间开始笑了起 来。
All of a sudden, she bursted into laughter.
她突然间笑了起来。
They were sitting quietly when all of a sudden,
他们安静地在那里坐着 ,突然间,
there was a loud noise.
传来了一阵大声的吵闹 声。
It started out to be a sunny day, then all of a sudden,
本来是个大晴天,突然 间,
it became cloudy and began to rain.
乌云密布,雨哗啦拉下 了起来。
had better:
应该
should do something; ought to do something
应该做某事
You had better not go out today. I think we'd better discuss it more.
你今天最好不要出去。 我觉得我们应该再讨论 。
I'd better go now or I'll be late for class.
我最好现在出发,要不 然我上课要迟到了。
You'd better take your raincoat because it's supposed to rain today.
你最好带上雨衣,因为 今天可能会下雨。
about to:
正要
on the point of doing something
正在做某事
We're just about to leave.
我们刚要离开。
Casey was just about to leave when Mr. Li invited her to stay for dinner.
凯西正要离开,就在那 时李先生邀请她一起吃 晚饭。
I'm not about to waste my time doing something foolish.
我不打算把我时间浪费 在做一些愚蠢的事情上 。
Stone was about to leave when the telephone rang.
斯通正要离开时电话响 了。
goes wi
thout saying:
毫无疑问
Something is so obvious that is doesn't have to be mentioned.
很明显,无须强调。
It goes without saying that our success depends on diligence.
毫无疑问我们的成功建 立在勤劳之上。
It goes without saying that children should not play with guns.
毫无疑问小朋友不应该 玩。
Mary is an excellent student.
玛丽是一名很出色的学 生。
It goes without saying that her parents are very proud of her.
毫无疑问她的父母亲以 她为荣。
Ann just told me that she can't go with us.
安刚刚告诉我说她不能 跟我们一起去。
It goes with saying that we were disappointed.
毫无疑问我们都很失望 。
What's the matter? :
怎么了?
What's wrong?
怎么了?
What's the matter with Kate? She looks angry.
凯特怎么了?她看起来 很生气。
What's the matter with this computer? How cold your hands feel!
这台电脑怎么了?你的 手很冰!
What's the matter with you?
你怎么了?
Substitution Drill
替换训练
I have to brush up on my French/ English/ history/ grammar rules/
我要重新温习法语/英 语/历史/语法/
speaking skills.
说话技巧。
All of a sudden, I woke up. I remembered her name.
突然间,我醒过来了。 我想起了她的名字。
She left the room. It began to rain.
她离开了房子。开始下 起了雨。
Kent started to cry. Stone became angry.
肯特开始哭了。斯通生 气了。
Bill began to laugh. Hilary wanted to leave.
比尔开始笑了。希拉里 想要离开。
I'd better not go to the movie tonight.
今晚我最好不去看电影 。
Tell Lee what happen. Eat dinner now. Lose those important papers.
告诉李发生了什么事情 。现在吃晚饭。丢失了 重要的文件。
fail the exam sell my car
考试没过 卖车
buy that house
买那间房子
give that cycle my phone number
给出我的电话号码
I was about to kill myself when it began to rain.
开始下雨时,我正准备 自杀。
Study when you came in.
当你进来时,请主动学 习。
Go when the phone rang.
当电话铃响时,去接电 话。
Write her note when she arrives.
当她来到时,请记下她 的笔记。
Eat dinner when Stone call me and take a bag when the door bell rang.
当斯通打电话给我,请 你去吃饭,当门铃响时 ,请带一个包来。
It goes without saying that we should be on time.
毫无一问,我们应该按 时。
Time is money.
时间就是金钱。
Honesty is the best policy.
诚实是最好的。
We must study hard.
我们必须努力学习。
Hates makes waste.
厌恶造成浪费。
A penny saved is a penny earned.
省下一便士等于赚到一 便士。
Many hands make light work.
人多好办事。
You are old as you feel.
你像你感觉一样年老。
Education is important.
教育很重要。
Good health is a schedule.
健康的身体是时间表。
What's the matter?
怎么
了?
You look angry/ tired/ upset/ bored/ pissed off/ so happy/
你看起来很生气/累/伤 心/不耐烦/愤怒/ 很开心/
so sick. You are trembling/ crying/ stole as yelling.
气色很不好/ 你在颤抖/哭泣/大喊大 叫。
第三部第一节 大段自我介绍
(1) Hello/Good morning /Good evening, ladies and gentlemen.
先生们,女士们, 你们好/早上好/晚上 好。
I am Stone Lee. I come from Beijing,
我是李斯通。我来自北 京,
and I am currently a student at Beijing University.
现在是北京大学的学生 。
My favorite pastimes are reading, listening to music,
我最喜欢的消遣是阅读 、听音乐、
and spending time with my friends.
和朋友呆在一块。
I am majoring in international business
我主 修国际商务和心理学,
and psychology because psychology is useful in every field.
因为 心理学在每个行业里都 很有用。
I hope to use my unique education to
我希望将来用我独特的
start my own company in the future.
知识来开办我自己的公 司。
I will probably open a global consulting firm.
我可能会开一间国际咨 询公 司。
(2) I am really glad I could be with you today.
我今天非常高兴和 你们在一起。
I hope everyone has a wonderful time. Thank you.
我希望大家都 玩得愉快。谢谢。
第三部 第二节
(1)A very strict officer was talking to some new soldiers
(1) 一个非常严格的正 在与他要培训的士兵们 谈话。
whom he had to train. He had never seen them before,
他从来没有见过他们,
so he began, "My name is Stone, and I'm even harder than stone,
所以他开始介绍自己: "我的名字是石头,而 且我比石头还要坚硬。
so do what I tell you or there'll be trouble.
所以照我说的做,否则 呢就是自找麻烦。
Don't try any tricks with me,
别跟我耍花招,
and then we'll get on well with each other."
这样我们就会彼此相处 融洽。"
Then he went to the soldiers one after another
然后他走到每个士兵面 前
and asked them their names.
问他们的名字。
"Speak loudly so that everyone can hear you clearly,"
"要大声说,让每个人 都能听清楚,"
he said, "and don't forget to call me 'sir'."
他说,"还有,别忘了 叫我'长官'。"
(2)Each soldier told him his name until he came to the last one.
(2)直到他走到最后 一个士兵时,之前的每 个人都已经向
This man remained silent, so Captain Stone shouted at him.
他报告了他们的名字。 那个人仍然保持沉默,
"What's your name, soldier?''
所以石头上校对他大声 叫到:"士兵,你叫什 么名字?"
(3)The soldier was very uncomfortable,
(3)那个士兵感到非 常别扭,
but at last he replied, "My name is Stone Breaker, sir,"
但他最后还是紧张地答 道:"长官,
He said nervously.
我的名字叫石头·粉碎 者。"
第三节 中文成语
Chinese id
ms are rich in history and deep in meaning.
中国成语历史悠久,意 义深远。
Foreigners are extremely interesting in Chinese idiom because
外国人对此很感兴趣因 为
they reflect the culture wisdom of China.
它们表现了中国的文化 智慧。
The bilingual ability to explain Chinese idiom
拥有双语的能力来解释 中国成语
will not only prove your command of English,
不仅证明你掌握的英语 ,
it will also impress shock and stun visitors.
而且会给游客留下深刻 的印象。
Your wisdom knowledge will gain you respect and let others
你的智慧知识会让你得 到别人的尊敬以及
speechless.
让别人无言以对。
Idioms are the biggest challenge in any language.
成语是学习任何语言的 最大挑战。
A good command of Chinese idioms will help you a great deal of
熟练掌握中国成语会对 帮助你的翻译达到
achieving professional level translation. Besides,
专业的水平。另外,
if you can actually teaching a foreigner to speak a few of Chinese idioms
如果你教会一名外国人 说一些中国成语,
she will be very grateful because you will make her stay
她会非常感谢你因为她 会
more enjoyable. You can be sure that your new foreign friends
觉得更加愉快。你新的 外国朋友会尝试用她刚 学到
with trying to impress others with her newly quiet Chinese idioms.
的中国成语给别人留下 深刻的印象。
But since Chinese is so difficult for foreigners to pronounce,
但是既然外国人读起英 文来很困难,
it will probably just be......
那将可能会一塌糊涂。
at six and seven: in disorder; in a mess; in confusion
七上八下:无秩序状态 ;
A lot of crazy things that happen in last couple of days.
最近几天发生了很多疯 狂的事情。
Everything was in six and seven in our house after last night's party.
昨晚的派对结束后,我 们的房子乱七八糟的。
What a disaster! This bookshelf hasn't been taken care
乱糟糟的!很多天没有 整理书架了,
for several days and it's in a terrible mess.
乱糟糟的。
My life is a disaster.
我的生活一团糟。
How was the party? A complete mess.
派对怎么样?一团糟。
The office was in a complete mess after the three secretaries
在三个秘书突然辞职之 后,
suddenly quit.
办公室乱糟糟的。
Draw a snake by adding feet to it. :
画蛇添足
overdo something there by spoiling it.
做得过度,毁坏了事情 。
ruin bad by adding something purposeless.
无目的添加而毁坏了东 西。
to over reach the mark is just as bad as not reaching it.
超过分数跟没有达到分 数一样糟糕。
It is my most favorite idiom because it describes my most favorite boss.
这是我最喜欢的一个成 语因为它描述了我最喜 欢的老板。
These few words are sufficient to express what you want to say,
这几句话把意思说得很 清楚
了,
anything further will be overdoing it.
再多说就是画蛇添足了 。
to bring the painted dragon to life by putting in the pupils of its eyes:
画龙点睛
put the finishing touches on something
画龙点睛
bring to life, put life into something
画龙点睛
add the crucial touch to something; add a word or two to clinch the point.
画龙点睛
He gave the picture a few finishing touches.
他给这副画作了几笔最 后的润饰。
I'm almost done the painting. I just need to put on the finishing
那幅画我几乎快完成了 。我只需要
touches.
画龙点睛。
第三部第四节 形容词大战
kiss-ass to flatter someone to gain advantage and approval
拍马屁,溜须拍马
That guy will kiss-ass his way to the top.
那个家伙将靠拍马屁往 上爬。
He's a little kiss-ass bastard who'll do anything to get ahead.
那个小混蛋是个马屁精 ,只要能往上爬,他啥 事都干。
1. cool
棒极了;泰然自若的; 沉着的;轻松的
What a cool guy!
多酷的家伙啊!
This chick is so cool,no matter what happens.
不管发生什么事,这姑 娘都十分老练沉着。
She is totally cool and easy-going.
她非常时髦,并且为人 随和。
2. accommodating
乐于助人的;亲切的
The tour guide was very accommodating when we asked to see a Beijing Hutong.
当我们要求游览北京胡 同是,那个导游欣然答 应了。
3. active
活跃的;活泼的
He is not as active as he was.
他不像以往那样活跃。
4. admirable
令人钦佩的;极好的
She's an admirable administrator.
她是一个优秀的管理人 员。
5. adorable
迷人的;讨人喜欢的; 可爱的
What an adorable child!
多可爱的孩子!
6. amazing
使人十分惊奇的;令人 惊讶的
My mother is an amazing woman.
我妈妈是一个了不起的 女人。
7. amusing
有趣的;引人注意的
He tried to be amusing, but I didn't respond.
他试图逗乐,可我一点 都没反应。
8. artistic
有美感的;有艺术才能 的
My brother is very artistic.
我弟弟很有艺术天分。
9. attractive
有魅力的;吸引人的
Her dark eyes are very attractive.
她的黑眼睛很迷人。
10. beautiful
美丽的;漂亮的;完美 的;出色的;很棒的
She is beautiful and has a beautiful personality.
她长得漂亮,人也很好 。
11. big-hearted
胸怀宽广的;亲切的
Our boss is very big-hearted.
我们老板胸怀宽广。
12. brave
勇敢的;无畏的
Try to be a brave man!
做一个勇敢的人!
13. bright
伶俐的;聪明的;机灵 的
He has a lot of bright ideas.
他有很多好主意。
14. brilliant
优秀的;才华横溢的
I have taught a lot of brilliant students in my life.
我一生教过很多出色的 学生。
15. capable
有能力的;能干的;有 才华的
She is my most capable student/employee.
她是我最出色的学生/ 员工。
16. calm
沉
着的;冷静的
He remained calm throughout the crisis.
在整个危机过程中,他 一直保持冷静。
17. careful
小心的;谨慎的;仔细 的
He is a very careful typist.
他是一个细心的打字员 。
18. caring
关心别人的;有同情心 的
Kim is an extremely caring teacher.
金姆是一个极其关心学 生的好老师。
19. charming
有魅力的;迷人的;快 乐的
She is a charming young lady.
她是一个迷人的年轻女 士。
20. cheerful
开朗的;快活的
Li Yang is a cheerful teacher.
第四部 第一节
(1) Miami, Florida (UPI) -
(1)佛罗里达州,迈阿 密市(UPI)--
Stone Lee killed his wife because she nagged him nonstop for 20 years.
李斯通杀死了他的太太 ,因为她不停地唠叨了 20午。
He walked out of court yesterday a free man.
昨天他以自由之身走出 法庭。
(2) "1 don't think I have ever before come across a case
(2)"像这样积怨如此之 久的案子,
where provocation has gone on so long." said Judge Bill Clinton.
我以前从未遇到过。" 法官比尔·克林顿说:
"In the end you got into a position
"最后你到了
where you couldn't take / tolerate / stand / bear/ put up with it anymore."
再也无法忍受的地步。 "
(3) He put Lee, 45, on probation for two years.
(3)他判45岁的李缓刑 二年。
(4) Lee pleaded guilty to manslaughter.
(4)李承认杀人罪。
His attorneys told the court his wife Kim was
他的律师告诉法庭说他 的妻子金姆
" a miserable woman who found pleasure in nothing".
是个"可悲的,对任何 事都没有兴趣的人"
(5) She nagged him about unfaithfulness,
(5)她不断地指责他不 忠实,
nagged him about his messiness, about his bad habits,
不爱收拾,抱怨他的坏 习惯,他们的邻居,
about their neighbors, about his job, his weight
他的工作,他的体重,
and his watching television -
以及他看电视的习惯--
she once hid the remote control to keep him from watching.
有一次为了不让他看电 视,她竟把遥控藏了起 来。
(6) During the 20 years Lee put up with her.
(6)在这20年当中,李 处处容忍她。
He moved 15 times, changing jobs each time,
他搬了15次家,每次都 得换一份工作,
to find a place which satisfied Kim.
只为了找到一个让金姆 满意的地方!
(7) Nothing worked. At the end of his rope,
(7)可这完全不奏效。 在智穷力竭之时,
Lee went to the police and asked to be locked up
李跑去要求把他关 起来,
because he feared what he would do. They refused.
因为他害怕自己会作出 什么事来。警方拒绝了 他的要求。
A week later he strangled his nagging wife.
一周之后,他把唠叨不 休的太太勒死了。
第二节 广告
(1) Singapore has been celebrating
新加坡千禧年庆祝活动
the advent of the new millennium since June,
一个值得大书一笔的庆 祝盛会
but them am still
plenty of festivities to enjoy.
--新加坡欢庆缤纷新世 纪已经开始啦!
With food, music and dancing festivals, sports
(1)从1999年6月到2000 年8月,
and entertainment extravaganzas,
新加坡美食节、艺术节 、体育节
Singapore will continue to explode with color,
和各类娱乐节目纷纷登 场,
energy and excitement until August 2000.
令人眼花缭乱,叹为观 止。
(2) One of the highlights of this Millennia Mania
(2)新年前夜的鸟详路
is a massive New Year's Eve countdown street
(新加坡主要商业街)
party on Orchard Road (the island's main shopping street)
倒计时庆典众星云集,
which will culminate in a live,
通过卫星向全球
global satellite broadcast of a star-studded
至少十亿人现场直播,
conceal to at least one billion people worldwide.
将晚会推向高潮。
(3) The final celebrations will feature a
(3)最后的庆典期间,
"One In A Millennium" grand prize drawing
更有"千禧大奖"等着
for a free return vacation for you and 20 guests.
您和20位友人免费畅游 新加坡。
第四部第三节
WTO Means Jobs
加入世贸意味着就业机 会
An estimated 12 million jobs are expected to be created
据一项估计表明,中国 加入世界贸易组织后将 会产生
after China joins the World Trade Organization (WTO).
1200万个前所未有的工 作机会。
(2) With the overall number of jobs increasing,
(2)在就业机会总体增 长的同时,
experts caution that the Chinese people must be
专家们提醒说,
prepared to change jobs instead of expecting
中国人应做好跳槽的心 理准备,
to hold life-long tenure as they are accustomed to.
而不是像以前那样守着 铁饭碗不放。
(3) Some industries will continue to whittle their labor forces
(3)有些行业将继续削 减员工,
and some will find they have to employ more workers.
而另外一些行业则需要 增加雇员,
But the net effect is that the Chinese
中国人整体上还是
on a whole will have more job opportunities.
会拥有更多的就业机会 。
(4) Middle and small-sized firms are job creators.
(4)中小型企业是制造 就业机会的源泉。
Faced with the larger international market,
面对日益扩大的国际市 场,
export sectors, such as textiles toys and shoes
出口行业,诸如纺织业 、玩具和皮鞋制造业,
will expand business and thereby use more laborers.
都将需要扩大规模,从 而需要更多的劳动力。
第四节 一个掌握全局的国际会 议主持人
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen.
女士们、先生们,晚上 好。
I welcome you to the American World / Asian
欢迎各位来参加美国/ 国际/
Consumer Goods Symposium.
亚洲消费品研讨会。
I am Mark Wayman from New York.
我是来自纽约的马克· 维曼,
Let me introduce my cochairman.
让我来介绍一下和我共 同主持会议的。
On my
immediate left, Dr. Robert Smith from Dow Chemical Company.
紧靠我左边的这一位是 Dow化工公司的罗伯特 ·史密斯博士。
This Symposium is on consumer and environmental protection.
本次研讨会的主题是消 费者和环境保护。
First of all, please let Dr. Stone Lee
首先,请来自疯狂英语 大学的
from Crazy English University speak.
李斯通博士讲话。
Well, I think we should begin.
好,我们该开始了。
Now this trade delegation is arriving from China next month.
情况是这样的,下个月 将有一个贸易代表团从 中国来。
We must attach importance to it and try to
我们必须重视这件事,
make all the visitors satisfied,
尽量让所有的来宾满意 ,
because our company is about to push our products
因为我们公司要把我们 的产品大规模
into the Asian market in a big way.
地推向亚洲市场。
So the main objective of this meeting is to draw up an agenda
今天会议的主要目的就 是为他们为期两周的访 问
for their two-week visit, and to decide on a program of social events.
拟定一个行程安排,确 定一个社交活动计划。
Stone, I'd like you to say something about your arrangements.
斯通,请你谈谈你们的 打算。
Right. Let's begin. The agenda this morning consists of only one item.
好,让我开始吧。今天 上午的议程只有一个内 容,
That is to discuss where to base our headquarters for the new group.
就是讨论我们新集团的 总部应该设在何处。
Of course you have all read the original report
当然,你们都已经看了 关于这个新机构的
about the new organization. As you know
初步报告。正如你们所 知道的,
we've merged several smaller enterprises in Los Angeles.
我们在洛杉矾兼并了几 个小公司,
So we are faced with two possibilities.
所以现在我们面临着两 种可能/选择,
One possibility is to move all headquarters' functions to Los Angeles,
一个可能是把整个总部 迁到洛杉矶,
which is basically what the report recommends.
这是报告中的主要建议 。
Alternatively , we could continue to run the companies separately
除此之外,我们还可以 继续让这些公司
in their present locations.
在他们现在的位置分开 运作,
Meanwhile we're about to set up a big holding company
同时,我们在纽约建立 一个大的
to control them in New York.
控股公司来控制这些公 司。
I'm not sure how feasible / practical / possible
我不能确定第二个方案 是否可行,
the second choice / option would be. Do any of you have any suggestions?
各位对此有何建议?
第四部第五节
第一标准步骤
Introducing yourself/starting the meeting/open remarks
Good morning/afternoon/ev ening, ladies and gentlemen.
Good morning everyone.
We haven't all met before so I'd better introduce myself.
/First let me introduce myself. I'm
首先
让我来做一个自我 介绍,我是..
I hope you'll excuse my English.
讲得不好之处,请大家 多多包涵,
/I'm a little out of practice.
好久不练了,我对英语 有点生疏,
/I'm a little nervous./Please excuse my poor English.
讲得不好之处,请大家 多多包涵,
第二标准步骤
Preparing the audience
鼓动听众
I'm going to be talking about/I'd like to talk about...
我今天要讲的是关于.. .
I will start with...and then move on to...Finally,I'm going to...
我将以...开始,然后 转向...,最后,以... 作为结束。
I'll begin by describing...then go on to ...and I'll end with...
我将以...开始,然后 转向...,最后,以... 作为结束。
I think if you don't mind, we'll leave questions to the end.
我想如果你们不介意的 话,我们将把问题留到 最后来回答。
/If you have any questions I'll be glad to answer them.
如果你们有问题,我很 高兴为大家解答。
Please hold/save any questions until the end.
请把所有的问题留到最 后。
第三标准步骤
Delivering the Message
提供信息
Firstly...Secondly.. ./First of all...Next...
首先……,其次……
This brings me to my next point.../
这正引出了我下面要讲 的一个……
Feel free to interrupt if you have any questions.
/如果你们有问题请尽 管打断我。
I must emphasize/stress/m ake clear
我必须强调/重点指明 /说明
/I’d like to turn to/I’d like to stress...
/我要转向/强调……
At this point we must consider...
...在这一点上我们必 须考虑……
/At this point we have to bear in mind
/在这点上我们必须记 住……
Now, to digress for a moment...
现在,我们暂时撇开这 个话题……
/Now to change the subject for a moment...
/现在我们临时换一个 话题……
我们都未见过面,因此 我最好自我介绍一下,
To go back to my earlier point...
返回到我先前的话题… …
/ To return to the point I made earlier
返回到我先前的话题… …
Finally.../In conclusion...
最后……
第四标准步骤
Winding-up
结束演讲
Before finishing/closing I'd like to summarize the main points again
在结束之前我要将我的 要点再总结一下。
/Before I finish, I'd like to run through the main points again.
在结束之前我要将我的 要点再总结一下。
That’s all I have to say for the moment/now/today.
这些就是我刚才
/That brings me to the end of my presentation.
/今天要讲的。
Thank you for listening/coming/b eing here.
谢谢大家前来听我的演 讲。
/Thank you for your attention.
谢谢大家前来听我的演 讲。
Thank you for listening/coming/b eing here.
谢谢大家前来听我的演 讲。
/Thank you for your attention.
谢谢大家前来听我的演 讲
Now if there are any questions, I'll be happy to answer them.
如果
任何问题,我 将非常乐意为大家解答
/I’ll be glad to take any questions.
如果有任何问题,我 将非常乐意为大家解答
/ If you have any questions, I'd be glad to answer them.
/我很高兴为大家解答 问题。
模范演讲
(1) Good morning ladies and gentlemen!
女士们,先生们,早上 好!
We haven't all met before so I'd better introduce myself.
我们都未见过面,因此 我最好自我介绍一下,
I'm Li Yang from the Development Department of LYCE Co.
I'm Li Yang from the Development Department of LYCE Co.
我是来自疯狂英语公司 开发部的李阳。
我是来自疯狂英语公司 开发部的李阳。
I should say before we start that I hope you'll excuse my English.
在开始之前,我应该说 一下,
I'm a little out of practice.
好久不练了,我对英语 有点生疏,
Anyway, I'm going to be talking this morning about a new product
讲得不好之处,请大家 多多包涵,
which we are planning to launch in two months' time;
不管怎样,今天上午我 打算讲一讲我公司将在 两个月后投放市场的一 种新产品:
it's called Crazy-Cola, and it's a cola flavored drink.
它的名字叫"疯狂可乐" ,是一种可乐型的饮料 。
(2) Well, I'll start with the background to the product launch;
(2)好,我们将从投放 该产品的背景开始,
and then move on to the description of the product itself;
然后描述一下新产品本 身:
finally, I'm going to list some of the main selling points
最后,我会列出在广告 和
that we should emphasize in the advertising and sales campaign.
销售活动中我们将强调 的卖点。
I think if you don't mind, we'll leave questions to the end.
我想,如果你们不反对 ,我们将把提问放在最 后。
(3) Now firstly, as you all know,
(3)现在说第一点,
we have had a gap in our soft-drink
就像你们所有人了解的 一样,
product range for the last two years;
过去两年在软饮料产品 系列方面,
we have been manufacturing mixed-fruit drinks
我们有一个空白。我们 过去10年
and orange drinks for the last ten years,
一直生产混合水果饮料 和橙汁饮料,
but we stopped producing cola two years ago;
但我们于两年前停止了 对可乐的生产。
I think we all agreed that there was room on the market for a
我想我们都同意市场上 有生产全新可乐
completely new cola flavored drink ... Secondly,
饮料的余地……。第二 点,
the market research indicated
市场调研表明,
that more and more Consumers are using soft drinks
越来越多的消费者正将 软饮料作为
as mixers with alcohol,
与烈性酒的混合物。
so, in other words, the market itself has expanded.
因此,换言之,市场本 身已经扩大。
(4) This brings me to my next point
(4)接着我要说下一点 :
which is that we have a rather new customer-profile in mind;
;
我们脑海中有一个相当 新的消费者形象。
I must emphasize that this product is aimed at the young-professional,
我必须强调一下,这种 产品瞄准的是年轻的高 薪职员,
high-income market and not the traditional consumer
而不是传统的老式的
of old-fashioned soft drinks.
软饮料消费者。
At this point we must consider the importance of packaging
在这一点上,我们必须 考虑包装
and design, and if you look at the video in a moment,
和设计的重要性,如果 你们一会儿看录像,
you'll see that we have completely revamped the container itself
将发现我们的容器和商 标以
as well as the label and slogan... Now to digress for just a moment,
及口号已经完全翻新… …。现在我说点题外话 ,
the more sophisticated packaging means a high unit cost,
更加高级的包装意味着 单位成本的提高,
and this may be a problem in the selling area,
这可能成为销售领域的 一个问题。
but we'll have a chance to discuss that aspect later..,
以后我们将有机会对这 方面的问题进行讨论… …
so... to go back to my earlier point,
因此让我再一次回到我 在此之前讲的,
this is a totally new concept as far as LYCE Co. is concerned;
就李阳公司来说,这是 一个全新的概念。
as you see we are using both the new-sized glass bottle
正如你们会发现的一样 ,我们正在使用新尺寸 的玻璃瓶
and the miniature metal cans.
和微型的金属罐。
(5) Finally, let's look at the major attractions of the product.
(5)最后要说的一点是 ,让我们看一下该产品 主要能吸引人的地方。
In spite of the higher price it will compete well with existing brands;
尽管价格较高,它将与 其他现有的牌子进行有 力的竞争,
the design is more modern than any of the current rival products,
其设计比现在任何竞争 对手都更加现代化,
and incidentally the flavor is more refreshing and natural ...
顺便说一下,该产品的 味道更加新鲜醇正……
It's low calorie, too.
卡路里含量也很低。
(6) OK, so just before closing,
(6)好吧,在结束前,
I'd like to summarize my main points again ...
让我重申一下重点……
We have Crazy Cola, a new design concept,
我们有疯狂可乐,一种 全新的设计概念,
aimed at a relatively new age and income group;
瞄准一个新的年龄和收 入群体。
it's designed to be consumed on its own, as a soft drink,
它可以作为软饮料进行 消费,
or to be used as a mixer in alcohol-based drinks and cocktails.
或用来混合在酒精饮料 及鸡尾酒中。
It comes in both bottle and can and this will
它既有瓶装也有罐装, 这
mean a slightly higher selling price than we are used to;
意味着价格要比过去高 一些。
but the improved flavor and the package design
但全新的口味和包装设 计
should give us a r
eal advantage in today's market ...
应该给我们提供市场优 势……
Well, that's all I have today for the moment.
好吧!这就是今天我要 说的,
Thank you for listening. Now if there are any questions,
谢谢你们听我的介绍: 现在如果有任何问题,
I'll be happy to answer them.
我将很高兴为大家解答 。
第四部 第六节
A: I was wondering if there is anything
我在想,我可以做什么 事
I could do to change your mind/gain your support/make you reconsider.
来让你改变主意/获得 你的支持/让你重新考 虑。
B: Yes. If you provide documentation of your investors,
是的。如果你能够提供 你目前投资者
I might consider investing/supportin g your proposal.
的资料的话我也许会考 虑投资/支持你的提案 。
A: So, how many investors would you need to see?
那么,你需要看几个投 资者呢?
B: If you could find one-half of your funding,
如果你可以找到一半资 金的话,
I will provide the rest/make up the difference.
我会提供其余的一半。
A: Excellent/Outstandi ng! That's a generous offer.
很好!那太慷慨了。
I'll see what I can do. /I'll go right ahead with that.
我来看看,我可以做什 么。/我马上着手办理 。
Thank you for your offer/support/coop eration.
谢谢你的提议/你的支 持/你的合作。
B: You have done a good job./We can definitely work together.
你干得很好。/我们一 定可以合作。
/We make a good team. /Let me know./I'll be in touch./
/我们可以合作良好, /告诉我进展。/
I'll be in contact.
随时联系我。
第五部 第一节
I'm low on cash.
up to date fresh sentences.
借钱容易还钱难
1. How about lending me a hundred dollars?
借我一百美元,好吗?
2. I'm low on cash too!
我也很缺钱。
3. Do I look rich?
我看起来很有钱吗?
4. Excuse me, can I borrow a thousand dollars?
对不起!你能借我一千 美元吗?
5. I would if I could.
如果我能,我一定会( 借给你)的。
6. Uh, sorry dude no money.
很抱歉,伙计,没钱。
7. Sorry man. I'm short these days!
对不起,老兄,我最近 手头很紧。
8. I'm running low myself.
我已经口袋空空了!
9. I'm broke until payday.
我一个子儿也没有,只 有等发工资。
10. Hey, I'm broke myself, man.
我也破产啦!
11. What am I? A bank?
你当我是什么?银行呀 ?
12. Hey, really wish I could help.
我真的希望我可以帮得 上忙。
13. I'm in the red too, dude.
老兄,我现在也欠了一 屁股债!
14. I was in the red last month.
我上个月已出现赤字。
15. Sorry, no budget.
抱歉,没钱。
Who am I, Bill Gates?
你当我是谁?比尔·盖 茨吗?
1. Man, this is a piece of trash/junk!
老兄,这是一堆垃圾/ 废物/破烂!
2. What a piece of garbage!
一堆垃圾!
3. What
a piece of shit!
一堆垃圾!
This stuff is shit. Show me something better.
这玩意是垃圾/破烂。 拿些好的让我瞧瞧。
That's a garbage movie.
那是一部糟糕的电影。
He's just talking garbage.
他只不过是在胡说八道 。
I've heard too much garbage here today.
今天我在这里已经听够 了废话。
The guy is trash! Stay away from him.
这家伙是个小人/垃圾 /人渣,离他远点。
His latest book is junk.
他最近出的那本书糟透 了。
There's nothing but junk in that magazine.
那本杂志里尽是些垃圾 。
Don't read that trash.
别读那垃圾作品。
Man, toss it away!
扔掉它!/丢掉它!
Man, chuck it away!
丢掉!
Chuck this thing.It's no good.
这东西没用,把它扔掉 。
Junk it.
扔掉它!
Junk this thing. It broken.
这东西破了,把它扔掉 算了。
Get rid of it.
扔掉!
Forget about it.
算了吧!
Man, this is lousy!
这真是烂货一个/垃圾 一堆。
His health has been lousy.
他的健康状况近来很糟 。
21. He tried to sell me his lousy radio.
他想把他那台破收音机 卖给我。
22. Man, who made it?
伙计,这是谁弄的?
23. What do you keep all this shit around here for?
你留这些破烂玩意干什 么?
24. I'd like to get rid of that old sofa. It's a piece of junk.
我想处理掉那张旧沙发 ,它已经很破烂了。
25. The average American eats some form of junk food everyday.
大多数美国人每天都要 吃垃圾食品/热量高而 营养价值低的食品。
26. Most people don't like getting junk mail.
多数人不喜欢收到垃圾 邮件(未经允许就胡乱 寄来的广告邮件)。
第五部第二节
Mr. President, Ladies and Gentlemen,
校长先生,女士们,先 生们:
(1) I wish to thank President Rudenstine,
(1)我感谢陆登庭校 长的邀请,
for inviting me to this old yet modernized institution of the United States
使我有机会在这美好的 金秋时节,
in this golden fall.
来到你们美国这座古老 而又现代化的学府。
(2) Since its founding some 360 years ago,
(2)哈佛建校360年来 ,
Harvard has nurtured a great number of outstanding statesmen,
培养出了许多杰出的政 治家、
scientists, writers and businessmen,
科学家、文学家和企业 家,
including six of the American Presidents
曾出过六位关国总统,
and over thirty Nobel Prize winners.
三十多位诺贝尔奖获得 者。
The fact that Harvard was founded before the United States of America
先有哈佛,后有关利坚 合众国,
testifies its position in American history.
这说明了哈佛在美国国 历史上的地位。
(3) Harvard is among the first American universities
(3)哈佛是最早接受 中国留学生的
to accept Chinese students.
美国大学之一:
The Chinese educational, scientific
中国教育界、科学界、
and cu
ltural communities have all along maintained academic
文化界一直同哈佛大学
exchanges with this university.
保持着学术交流。
Harvard has thus made useful contribution to
哈佛为增进中美两国人 民
the enhanced mutual understanding between the Chinese
的相互了解
and American peoples.
作出了有益的贡献。
(4) Mutual understanding is the basis for state-to-state relations.
(4)相互了解,是发 展国与国之间关系的前 提:
Without it, it would be impossible for countries to build trust
惟有相互了解,
and promote cooperation with each other.
才能增进信任,加强合 作。
Since the establishment of diplomatic ties
中关建交以来,
between China and the United States,
我们两国人民之间
the exchanges and mutual understanding
的相互交流与了解在逐 渐扩大和加深,
between our two peoples have broadened and deepened steadily.
但还不够。
However, this is not enough.
为了推动中关关系的发 展,
To promote the development of China-US relations,
中国需要进一步了解美 国,
China needs to know the United States better and vice versa.
美国也需要进一步了解 中国。
(5) To know China better, one may approach it from different angles.
(5)要更好地了解中 国,可以从多种视角来 进行。
China today has evolved from its past.
现在的中国是历史中国 的发展。
China is a country with 5,000 years of civilization.
中国是一个有五千年文 明历史的国家,
Therefore, it is important to approach China from
从历史文化来了解和认 识中国,
a historical and cultural perspective.
是一个重要的视角。
How to make your excuses
A.M.
上午的借口
1. He hasn't come in yet.
他还没来呢。
2. I expect him in/back any minute.
他随时都会回来。
3. He just sent word he'd be a little late.
他刚捎口信来说他会晚 点到。
4. He'd been in, but he went out again.
他已经来了,不过又出 去了。
5. He's gone to lunch.
他吃午饭去了。
P.M.
下午的借口
1. I expect him in any minute.
我想他随时会回来。
He hasn't come back yet. Can I take a message?
他还没回来呢。留个口 信好吗?
He's somewhere in the building. His coat is here.
他在这栋楼的某个地方 ,他的外套还在这儿呢 。
Yes, he was in, but he went out again.
是的,他刚在这儿,但 他又出去了。
I don't know whether he'll be back or not.
我不知道他是否会回来 。
No, he's gone for the day.
不在,他下班了。