1. The judge asked the reporters not to disclose the name of the victim.
法官要求记者不要公开受害人的姓名。
2. The teacher took pains to make sure that we all understood what he said.
老师费尽苦心务使我们全部都理解他说的话。
3. Recently the school conducted a survey among those students who have attained academic excellence.
最近学校在学业优秀的学生中进行了一项调查
4. He said he would accept the job, so we asked him to confirm his acceptance by writing us a letter.
他说他要接受这份工作,我们要求他写封信证实
5. George studies very hard. He wants to make the most of his chance to learn.
乔治学习很努力,他要尽量利用学习的机会
6. We can’t go. To begin with, it’s too cold. Besides, we’re busy.
我们不能去。第一,天太冷。另外我们正忙着
7. It’s about time that someone spoke up for these basic truths.
该是有人公开讲清这些基本事实的时候了
8. You should be working instead of lying there in bed at this time of the day.
此时此刻你应该工作而不该在床上躺着
9. I’ll jot down some notes while he’s speaking.
他发言时,我要记些笔记。
10. I can’t lift the suitcase on my own; it’s too heavy.
我自己无法提起这个箱子,他太重了
Unit 2翻译P59-60
1. The expedition might have reached the top of the mountain by now.
探险队此时可能已经到达山顶
2. If there should be any change in the schedule, please let me know in time.
如果日程有安排有变化,请及时告诉我
3. Passengers must check in 45 minutes prior to the flight departure.
乘客必须在航班出发前45分钟办理登记手续
4. Hurry up! It would be a pity to miss the concert.
快点走!要是错过这次音乐会就太可惜了
5. The man standing in the distance can’t be Mr. Li, for he left for New York yesterday.
站在那远处的那个人不可能是
1. The baby can’t even crawl, let alone walk!
这个婴儿还不会爬,更不要说走了
2. Will claimed he was dining with a group of friends at the time of murder, but in my opinion he told a lie.
威尔声称谋杀案发生时要他正和一群朋友在吃饭,但是我认为他在说谎。
To a certain extent the speed of reading is closely related to reading skills; and with reading skills you can cope with outside class reading better. 一定程度上阅读速度与阅读技巧密切相关,有了阅读技巧,你就可以更好地应对课外阅读了。
4. Can you take a look at the engine to see what’s wrong?
你检查一下引擎看看出了什么问题好吗?
5. Some people assume that there is a Chinese equivalent for every Japanese word.
有些人想当然的认为日语中的每一个词在汉语中都有对应的词语。
6. We have passed all relevant information on to the police.
我们已将所有的相关信息告诉了警方。
7. There is no use asking me any more questions about that matter because I won’t answer.
关于那件事你问我再多的问题也没用,因为我是不会回答你的。
8. It was a mistake on Jim’s part to sign the contract without reading it carefully.
事先没有仔细阅读合同就签了名是吉姆的错误
9. They refused to provide us with all the information we need.
他们拒绝向我们提供所需要的全部信息。
10. This accident is very similar to the one that happened three years ago.
这起事故与三年前发生一起事故极为相似
11. The film is based on a play by Shakespeare.
这部影片是根据莎士比亚的戏剧改编的
12. If you have a good command of English and computer skills, you will surely have an advantage over others in finding a job
如果你的英语和电脑技能都掌握得好,那么你在谋职时就一定比别人更有优势。
Unit 4翻译P121
1. Many teachers frowned on this practice.
很多老师不赞同这种做法
2. An old man glared at me when I was trying to cross the lawn.
当我想从草地上穿过去的时候,有为老人在旁边怒视我
3. When I mentioned my father, she showed a smile of recognition on her face.
当我提到我的父亲时,他的脸上认出我的笑容
4. My firstborn was quite obedient, whereas my younger child was very stubborn. I can still recall now how the younger child insisted on going abroad after he finished his middle school
我的大孩子比较听话,而小的那个非常倔。我现在还常回想起小的孩子在中学毕业后是如何执意要出国读书的
5. Countries in South East Asia sustained great losses when the tsunami struck the area.
当海啸袭来时许多东南亚国家遭受了巨大的损失
6. Every time the mother tried to compare the younger brother with his elder brother, the younger one would protest.
每当做母亲的那弟弟和哥哥比较,弟弟就要
7. He found himself unable to fit in with his classmates when he first came to his new school.
他当初到这个新学校的时候,发现自己与其他同学格格不入
8. The anger/fury on her face terrified me. I dared not say no to her again.
他脸上气急败坏的表情是在吧我吓坏了。我再也不敢说个不字
9. No wonder you ended up in trouble. You never followed your parents’ advice/instructions.
怪不得你最后闯出祸来,原来你从来不听你父母的管教。
10. It took him two years to adapt to the new environment.
他花了整整两年的时间才慢慢适应了这个新环境。